• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iTunes Music Sharing and College Campuses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: Yale Daily News

Since he downloaded Apple's iTunes music player, Keith Salas '07 said he has tried to listen to new music every day. But instead of buying songs through the iTunes Music Store (iTMS), he said he looks through users' playlists until he finds something he has not heard.

Yalies have rushed to download the iTunes music player and iTMS since it became available to Windows users two weeks ago. But while an Apple press release says users downloaded one million songs within the first 3.5 days the software was available to Windows users, many Yalies said they use it mainly to "share" others' music, not to buy songs from the iTMS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i hope apple will try to solve any problems before it turns into the net share problem

but first, i think record companies are going to deal with LAMP.. i think the outcome of that debate will hold some forsight of any iTunes sharing.

latest LAMP news

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im not sure this is such a big deal.. it's not much different then me ripping my cd onto my computer and then lending my cd out to people to listen to. The great thing about the LAN sharing is that people can just listen to the music while me lending out my cd.. people will probably rip it also. So this should actually make the record execs a bit happier then otherwise what could and does happen...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.