Invaded by Mac Protector

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
A so called Mac protector has installed itself on my system and I am concerned.. How can I get rid of this attack?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
Thank you, I followed the instructions in the referred site and believed it has been removed. What an ordeal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope this is the end of attacks.
Bill

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using Safari to surf the Web? If so, open preferences in Safari and the General Tab. Be sure "Open Safe Files after Download" is NOT checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That was a great link, Dennis. +1 rep!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I think it may be time for a Mac Protector/Mac Defender sticky thread.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I too got caught out with this last night, it got as far as the splash screen but I didn't click the install button I closed it down and deleted the files from the download folder - I hope I have got rid of it!! I've done everything in the video so all should be well!!

Mick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Are you using Safari to surf the Web? If so, open preferences in Safari and the General Tab. Be sure "Open Safe Files after Download" is NOT checked.

As a follow up action, you can also exclude your download folder from your backups .... that way the malware file sitting there idle in your downloads folder is not backed up.
Just a thought.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
As a follow up action, you can also exclude your download folder from your backups .... that way the malware file sitting there idle in your downloads folder is not backed up.
Just a thought.

Cheers ... McBie

Wow, that's a really good idea. Never thought of that. How would I do that? I opened Time Machine preferences, but I couldn't see how to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Wow, that's a really good idea. Never thought of that. How would I do that? I opened Time Machine preferences, but I couldn't see how to do it.

Open up time machine preferences, click the lock and enter your password, select options.
A dialogue box opens up, click the + and select your downloads folder from the window that pops up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Open up time machine preferences, click the lock and enter your password, select options.
A dialogue box opens up, click the + and select your downloads folder from the window that pops up.

Thanks 6 string. Appreciate it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.