.DS_Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hey there,

I've had this issue ever since my first MacBook Pro back in 2008. I actually installed Windows through Boot Camp the first day I got it because I've been a Windows user for over ten years and it wasn't easy getting used to the Macintosh at first. Anyway, back to the point.

Ever since then, every time I access my BOOTCAMP partition when I am on Macintosh, it leaves a .DS_Store file in every folder/location I access. So when I switch to Windows, I have to delete all those annoying .DS_Store files.

I Googled a lot but never came up with anything useful, except that maybe that must happen and cannot be fixed, but I thought I should ask you guys since you are pretty much more experienced than me and can tell me what that file is and, if possible, how I can stop that from happening.

Thank you.

Tarek

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This pretty much explains all you need to know:

.DS_Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've read that before. Thanks, though.

This[1] is how you set it up for the Mac not to create .DS_STORE file on networked drives. And this[2] is how you'd have to do it on your local directories.

[1] - Mac OS X v10.4 and later: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections
[2] - DS_Store, ._AppleDouble, .Folders. Keep it clean. | zeroonetwenty

Regards

Great.. I ran the Terminal command and restarted my computer.
To your second point, I am not really looking for something paid-for as I already bought CleanMyMac a month and a half ago and it's working like a charm so far. I run it twice or three times a week since I use my computer a lot.. it really helps maintain it. Is it similar to Blueharvest? Because whenever I plug an external drive in, for instance, it pops-up saying "Clean" all the Mac rubbish from that drive, and I confirm. I am guessing that's exactly what Blueharvest does?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what CleanMyMac does..but if after running the "Clean" you don't see the .DS_STORE files on the USB drive, I guess so. Blueharvest seems to do it automatically for you..but if you're happy with your current solution, that's great..

Regards

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's exactly what happens after it "cleans" the usb drive I insert. The problem, however, is that I can't find an option that would let me clean the BOOTCAMP partition, but it only cleans the Macintosh HD of all the Mac/Windows junk, etc.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I imagine that none of the applications will touch the Bootcamp partition, they'll only deal with locally mounted systems..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.