Would you buy the ROKR?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If the ROKR was available to you would you buy it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I voted no, because I can not, I have verizon, I don't even know If I would buy it if I could however, it does not look like a phone I would want even though it does have iTunes support that does not make me want to buy it, not that important to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
just too little songs....even other phones support mp3 music.
the rokr have itunes enabled, but who really cares about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nah I have a 20GB iPod, the cam is crappy, apart from iTunes the moto interface is rubbish and the design is nothing special either.

I'm going for a K750i instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I am already on Cingular... so if I had to buy a new phone I would consider it. But I'm in no hurry to trade in my current phone for it.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Nah I have a 20GB iPod, the cam is crappy, apart from iTunes the moto interface is rubbish and the design is nothing special either.

I'm going for a K750i instead.
Ok now you've done it! The Moto interface is not rubbish :). Well it's not the best either but honestly I think most cell phones have horrid interfaces doesn't matter who made them. I have yet to see one I like.

Generally I think people just like the interface of the phone brand they're most used to using. For me I've almost exclusively used Moto phones so it's very easy and intuitive to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
schweb said:
Generally I think people just like the interface of the phone brand they're most used to using. For me I've almost exclusively used Moto phones so it's very easy and intuitive to me.

I would agree... I have been a Nokia guy from my first cell phone... I had to use Sanyo while I was on Sprint but never liked it... Even though it had alot of features my Nokia doesn't have. And now that I am back on Nokia I feel right at home again.

I think if I did have to get another phone as much as I like the idea of having iTunes on it... It would be really hard to give up the Nokia interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
schweb said:
Ok now you've done it! The Moto interface is not rubbish :). Well it's not the best either but honestly I think most cell phones have horrid interfaces doesn't matter who made them. I have yet to see one I like.

Okay - I admit that phone interfaces are generally a matter of personal preference. However I do think that from a UI designers viewpoint Motorola's are fairly bad compared to say Sony Ericsson's or Siemens.

I think the biggest issue here though is that it's made in cooperation with Apple!

No matter how much you like Motorola's interface - it's hardly OS X on a cellphone is it? ;)
I won't be impressed until we see a real "iPhone".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
i wouldnt get it. Thats what an ipod is for. My NOKIA 6600 is the bomb. Im on T-mobile. The only other phone I would consider is the new N series from Nokia. There are three types.....one leaning more towards MP3's, one leaning more toward video, and another with a little of both. I never liked Moto phones though as I found there interface lacking what it could be. NOKIA ALL THE WAY!!!!

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
I think the biggest issue here though is that it's made in cooperation with Apple!

No matter how much you like Motorola's interface - it's hardly OS X on a cellphone is it? ;)
I won't be impressed until we see a real "iPhone".

On that we can completely agree. Moto should've just turned their whole UI over to Apple's engineers.

Reaction score
Sadly Motorolo generally make poor phones - the RAZR is thin yes but it lacks memory, a decent cam, a lousy interface, the list is endless. Sony ericsson phones beat them everytime. Plus I have an iPod 20gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Not impressed, I'm afraid, although I'm open to changing my mind if it's revolutionary when I get to use one.

Motorola lose major points with me for that stupid "Hallo Moto" marketing thing they have - it's not very freeform/Californiesque Apple is it? But arguably better than that oh-so-annoying Nokia "tune" that assaults your eardrums from all quarters. I'll stick to my Ericsson for being the least irritating of the major phone manufacturers from a marketing perspective.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jammers said:
Sadly Motorolo generally make poor phones - the RAZR is thin yes but it lacks memory, a decent cam, a lousy interface, the list is endless. Sony ericsson phones beat them everytime. Plus I have an iPod 20gig.
I will disagree with you all around. The RAZR is the best phone I've owned yet. The display is outstanding, camera is very good for a cell phone, battery life is amazing considering how small it is, great reception, and extremely rugged for it's small form factor.

And on top of it, I think there's general agreement that whatever interface you're used to you'll like the most. I like Moto's UI. I hate SE's and Nokia's is marginal to me.

As for poor phones, Moto generally makes good phones. It has had its losers (I believe the T720 was a huge one), but so has every other company. I remember a time when ALL of Ericcson's phones were junk, I used to sell them.

Reaction score
It'll have to do more than just play itunes music. What about blue tooth connection with the PB and sync address book and calendar events etc...

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure it can sync all that stuff. Most moto phones are compatible with iSync and in Tiger Moto's BT phones are able to sync also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Nope, absolutely not. I've already got two iPods, soon to be three (iPod Nano). I certainly have no use for a phone that plays music. What Apple needs to make is a Smartphone (PDA and phone in one). I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

Sadly, I'm stuck with a Palm until they do...which means half my data doesn't sync. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
not be buying it for these reasons

1) moto's are good phone i had the V600 but you still cant have ring AND vibrate at the same time Q....WHY!!

2) they use transflash cards which are expensive and are pointless as they have just lauched a 512 card, hardly masses of space really is it

3) remove the iTunes feature and whats still special about it. Nothing IMO

4) BT on moto's aint the best IMO either as it can be a real pain doin easy stuff like sending a video to my mates

Reaction score
The Camera on a RAR is only VGA - The latest SE phones have 2 megapixels with auto focus, it lacks bluetooth, my SE has a 262k colour screen with a great resolution plus it has expandable meory and can play mp3s etc.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The RAZR is about a year old. Trying to compare a year old phone to a new one isn't really fair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
well compare the RAZR to the SE S700i then

ive got the S700i and its still got a 256k screen, expandable memory and a 1.3M Pixel camera, and the RAZR came out after the S700

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.