clossing laptop/shutdown

Reaction score
If I shutdown my laptop it goes to a blue screen with a little rotating circle. This probably means the laptop is shutting down. Does it hurt then that you close the lid?

Or can I just click shutdown and closer my laptop or do I need to wait for the screen to turn black before closing my laptop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should wait until the machine is completely off before closing the top lid. Closing the lid prior to a shut down could signal "sleep" to the machine instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I very seldom "shut down"
I just close the lid and walk away

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
I wanted to clean my keyboard so I had to shutdown. Because if he isn't shut down or sleeping and I press buttons my mac will go berserk and open all kind of programs, unless their is a way to "lock" your keyboard?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I wanted to clean my keyboard so I had to shutdown.
If you wanted to clean the keyboard, why were you closing the lid?

You could try the directions here to disable the keyboard but I'd look for another solution first. Better yet, just lock your screen.

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
If you wanted to clean the keyboard, why were you closing the lid?

You could try the directions here to disable the keyboard but I'd look for another solution first. Better yet, just lock your screen.

Ooh, I was answering to this:

I very seldom "shut down"
I just close the lid and walk away

I was shutting down my pc in the train and wasn't planning on clean my keyboard on the train, so I shutted him down and closed him and then I was asking myself the same question I am asking you guys.

So, its better to try to lock my screen?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Locking your screen is probably the easiest way. With the screen locked, key presses won't have any effect other than to put characters in the password box which can easily be deleted when you want to unlock your screen.

Honestly though, you're better just to shut it down. It doesn't take long to boot and it'll save you any trouble you might have otherwise if it was on.

OP
Mac Math
Reaction score
Locking your screen is probably the easiest way. With the screen locked, key presses won't have any effect other than to put characters in the password box which can easily be deleted when you want to unlock your screen.

Honestly though, you're better just to shut it down. It doesn't take long to boot and it'll save you any trouble you might have otherwise if it was on.

Thanks for the advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.