New mac, works great, minor question

Reaction score
hey gang, this is my first post here. I've been using PC's my whole life and recently made the huge switch to a 2011 MBP 15inch, which has delighted me so far. I installed firefox and photoshop so I'm all set up with what I need. I do have a question however, I do have music collection of 82gigs. I want to roll this over to my new mac which i can do. However I'm afraid it will cause my machine to run slow, or slower than it does now (i noticed it does this on my XP and vista PC's) due to the constant indexing of the files. Will I notice any performance difference on the mac if I roll over my entire collection?

Just if your interested, about 12000 tracks.
my hdd is the 750

thanks !
sorry for the newb question !
(if this is posted in the wrong section, feel free to move it to the right spot, sorry)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
It wont slow down your Mac at all.

C

chas_m

robduckyworth is, broadly speaking, correct ... UNLESS that 82 gigs really fills up your HD. Then it most certainly WILL cause your MPB to run slowly.

Just bear in mind that Mac OS X needs a *lot* of "elbow room" to do its thing efficiently. I'd recommend leaving *at least* 20GB free at all times. Keep an eye on your free space, do periodic (and by this I mean "every so often" -- as in perhaps bi-monthly) maintenance, don't fall for "anti-virus" scams and you should have smooth sailing.

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh ok Thanks ! lol It's going to have around 500 gigs atleast to do its thing. That's good to know, can't wait to get my library up into itunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.