backing up files through Time Machine and storing files on external HDD

Reaction score
So I understand that you can use Time Machine to create carbon copies of your hhd every so often in the event of a failure, it can then be used to basically restore everything.

I was wondering if it's possible to use an external hdd along with Time Machine to not only create a carbon copy but also to move some data completely off the computer and onto the hdd or do you need to separately move the files?

For example, if I set up Time Machine to do a back up every week, it'll make a carbon copy of the hdd whenever I set it up to do the back up. Now let's say I have raw HD Camcorder footage that I've edited into a short 15 min clip and I want to keep the edited clip on the computer and I've also kept the raw footage. So my question is, I want to move the raw 45 minute footage to the external hdd and keep only the edited 15 min clip on the computer which will be backed up through Time Machine.

Is this possible to use Time Machine to "back up" the raw footage or do I need to simply create a folder on the ext hdd such as "Raw Camcorder Footage" and move the raw footage into there manually?

With what I'm trying to do, doy ou guys think it would just be better to not use Time Machine and simply copy and paste the files that I want to back up into my created folder on the ext HDD?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
what i would do (and have done) is partitioned my time machine drive. i have a 1TB drive split 750GB for TM, and 250GB for storage.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you go into Disk utility, select the external drive, new partition table, 2 partitions. once this is done the hard drive will appear as two in the finder, and you can use one for storage, one for time machine. (you can even backup the storage partition to the TM partition ;) )

bear in mind the process will wipe any data already on the external drive.

C

chas_m

So I understand that you can use Time Machine to create carbon copies of your hhd every so often in the event of a failure, it can then be used to basically restore everything.

This is incorrect.

Time Machine does NOT make a "carbon copy" (clone) of your system. It backs up all files and apps, yes. But that's not quite the same as a clone.

I was wondering if it's possible to use an external hdd along with Time Machine to not only create a carbon copy but also to move some data completely off the computer and onto the hdd or do you need to separately move the files?

As others have said, sure. I have several HDs next to my machine: a drive entirely devoted to Time Machine, one to a clone program, a third to excess media stuff (storage) and a fourth that is partitioned into two volumes (one to back up the media stuff, another for Photoshop and video scratch disk).

In your case, you could buy a large-capacity HD (I've seen 3TB drives now at Costco -- amazing!) and partition part of it to be a TM backup and the rest for whatever you want.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Excellent advice Chas. I have a similar setup to yours. I have a system clone on hand with Time Machine devoted to a different drive. We won't even go into the growing collection of media drives and scratch disks.

Right now my Time Machine backup is housed on an external drive attached to my Time Capsule. I have been thinking though that I might partition a large drive and put the system clone on one partition and the Time Machine backup on the other partition. I would have to remember to clone the system portion of the drive regularly but that's not too bad. I could run that on a regular schedule or any time there was a significant system change such as OS update or major software installation. Time Machine would back up the data automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.