g4 powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro PowerBook G4 ipod classic imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi guys
just need some info please, i'am thinking of buying a Apple PowerBook G4 (15", 1.25Ghz, 80Gb HDD, 1Gb RAM) the price being asked is £150 is it worth that. also i think its running Tiger OS X can this be upgraded to leopard

many thanks in advance
Brimac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes it can be upgraded to Leopard (OS 10.5).

- Nick

p.s. As far as the price...I'm not so experienced with used Macintosh pricing in the UK. But you could check this site for a ballpark value...Mac2Sell.net (they have a UK section).

Reaction score
Craigslist always has them I almost picked up two for real cheap but he sold to a quicker buyer :/

OP
brimac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys mac 2 sell values it at £120 could not find carigslist for uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Great machine (typing on one running Leopard), but £150 is high for one with a small HD like that, as you have found.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys mac 2 sell values it at £120 could not find carigslist for uk

Do you mean that you couldn't find the UK Craig's List...or you couldn't find any Powerbook G4's on your local Craig's List today?

If you could not find the UK Craig's List...here it is (pick your nearest city):

craigslist: Vereinigtes Knigreich - classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

If you couldn't find any Powerbook G4's on your local Craig's List...that's because not everything is available everyday.;)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
brimac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
couldn't find any Powerbook G4's on Craig's List today

OP
brimac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
once i put the correct info in on th mac 2 sell guide it gave me a price of £170, how hard or easy to put new hdd in a power book

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
once i put the correct info in on th mac 2 sell guide it gave me a price of £170, how hard or easy to put new hdd in a power book

I think a good bit more involved than MacBook's. Go to iFixit.com...find the model Powerbook G4 you're interested in...and hopefully they have a DIY procedure.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I personally wouldn't buy a G4 at any price these days, not for my use anyway.

As long as you understand that a G4 is minimum six years old and consequently will never run modern software, be very upgradeable or surf the multimedia parts of the web very well, have at it. I loved my G4 iBook back in the day, but that was a loooong time ago in computer terms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
A powerbook G4 was my first Apple about 3 years or so ago, when i was Mac-curious..lol

It ran photoshop very well and I never had an issue browsing the internet for media.

Im sure the machine would be fine but, that being said, I do somewhat agree with chas m, the price you can find a regular macbook, even a coreduo one for I would strongly suggest that. You could probably get one for pretty close to the same price Itll be dual core, Intel based and much more powerful.

Not sure about over there but states side you can find powerbook G4s for about $200-$250 US You can find Macbooks for $200-$300 depending on specs and condition. Ive seen the coreduo model very very close to $200 US.

OP
brimac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you all very much for your insight and comments,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.