• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Breaking News! Smoking is Good For Your Health . . .

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I tend to take all of these research findings with a grain of salt . . . would like this one to be true since I am a steady coffee consumer. Be nice to know it was actually good for me.

EXCERPT From MSNBC, Link to Full Article Below: Coffee is good for men, according to research released Tuesday from the Harvard School of Public Health. Those who who drank the most coffee — regular or decaffeinated — have the least risk for prostate cancer, especially the deadliest forms of the disease, the 12-year study of almost 48,000 male health professionals found.

Almost exactly 30 years ago this same lab in a separate study concluded that in men and women coffee increased the risk of pancreatic cancer, which is almost always deadly. That study got widespread publicity, but not long afterward the researchers said: "Oops, we made a mistake." Coffee, they said, has no effect on the risk of pancreatic cancer.

That flip-flop from such a prestigious institution contributed greatly to the public distrust of the science of epidemiology and the widespread perception that “one day they say something is good for us and the next day they say it is bad.”

Coffee may protect men from prostate cancer - Health - Cancer - msnbc.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, coffee doesn't contain any toxic chemicals like cigarettes do. Caffeine is not bad for you in moderation. Alcohol is not bad for you in moderation. Big Macs are not bad for you occasionally.
Tobacco is harmful to your lungs and the added chemicals in cigarettes can cause cancer, rot your teeth, and weaken your immune system. Cigarettes are bad for you plain and simpe. Heck, they're even bad for people who aren't smoking them. Second-hand smoke is just as bad if you inhale too much of it. There's always the exception to the rule - the 90 yr old man who smoked cigars every day of his adult life. But the odds are incredibly stacked against you if you smoke. Not worth the risks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for MYmacROX. There has never been a flip flop on smoking. It was bad for your health when I was in high school, college, the military, several careers, and right now. Enough said about that.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This wasn't intended to be an "In support of smoking" post--just little mild humor. Regardless, I agree with your statements and sentiments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This wasn't intended to be an "In support of smoking" post--just little mild humor. Regardless, I agree with your statements and sentiments.

Oh, I know you were being humorous. :)

Sorry if I came off kind of strong on the smoking thing. I was trying to illustrate the contrast between something absolutely harmful (toxic chemicals) and something that researchers flip flop on (naturally occurring things like caffeine). I must have had too much coffee this morning and got my energy levels too high. ;D

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I know you were being humorous. :)

Sorry if I came off kind of strong on the smoking thing. I was trying to illustrate the contrast between something absolutely harmful (toxic chemicals) and something that researchers flip flop on (naturally occurring things like caffeine). I must have had too much coffee this morning and got my energy levels too high. ;D

Actually the caffeine in coffee is a toxic chemical (this was pointed out in emails to us by our overly zealous substance abuse counselor a few years back). I sent them an email back that they were absolutely correct, however to get an LD50 dose would require drinking an entire 55 gal drum of coffee (which would kill you anyway).

They never replied to my email. ;)

EDIT: Interesting book, Schweb. I put it in my Amazon cart for later--probably won't buy it unless it comes out in Kindle format though. I have basically gone fully electronic with my reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
If you have had a blood clot, coffee is on the "do not do" list, unless you chase a cup of java by a quart of water.
It actually dehydrates you BIG TIME!!!

As for Cigarettes, hands down baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Please remember everyone that smoking is a addiction and addiction is now finally been seen by the governments of the world as a disease. So if you have a friend trying to stop they need all the help they can get. As much as if the person was on crack/heroin.
Its debilitating and needs addressing.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay . . . I surrender!
My joke was not in good taste so if one of the Staff (originally typed Mods but that doesn't apply anymore) will oblige and change the Thread title I would be appreciative.

Something non-descript like Coffee Protects Against Cancer??? perhaps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Okay . . . I surrender!
My joke was not in good taste so if one of the Staff (originally typed Mods but that doesn't apply anymore) will oblige and change the Thread title I would be appreciative.

Something non-descript like Coffee Protects Against Cancer??? perhaps

Sorry Mate didnt mean to come off harsh as i found it amusing, but atm im struggling with giving up and that was my morning rant.
No offense to the post what so eva ;)

Tis nothing but my morning grumpiness lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
Please remember everyone that smoking is a addiction and addiction is now finally been seen by the governments of the world as a disease. So if you have a friend trying to stop they need all the help they can get. As much as if the person was on crack/heroin.

I'll go one further. NICOTINE is an addiction. Luckily I was able to quit dipping back in '93. Hardest thing I've ever done. With that said, smoking has killed EVERY person I've known who has smoked most of their life. EVERY.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Mate didnt mean to come off harsh as i found it amusing, but atm im struggling with giving up and that was my morning rant.
No offense to the post what so eva ;)

Tis nothing but my morning grumpiness lol

Have another cup of coffee on me . . . ;)

Understand about trying to kick the cigs. Never got hooked on them but have had friends and family struggle to ditch them, so you have my sympathy and whatever moral support I can give.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Having given up smoking, I completely disagree with the parallels drawn in this post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having given up smoking, I completely disagree with the parallels drawn in this post.

Why is that ?? Is it bc you have found it easy to give up ?? Kudos to you. Honestly. I envy you.

BUT Addiction is a Disease, a Brain Disease to be exact.

Addiction Recovery Guide ~ Addiction is a Brain Disease.
BC Medical Journal ~ Addiction finally recognised as a Disease
It’s great that addiction is finally being recognized as a chronic disease and treatment is being funded accordingly

and i could go on and on.

Addiction is close to my heart, having had someone close to me caught in the addiction rut. Im passionate about it, hence my post about helping those with this disease, that you disagree with.

Im interested in knowing why.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I see far too many people use an addiction as an excuse. I believe anyone can overcome an addiction without allowing it to ruin their lives. While I do not disagree that addiction may be a disease for some, for far to many it is used as an excuse for behavior they choose to engage in. In the end, while scientific recognition will help in the long run it will just give many in our society another crutch to lean on instead of taking responsibility for their own ives and their own actions, all the while knowing that the government will be there to give them aid and make their lives better (and generally misuse tax funds) while they continue to act stupidly.

As a former smoker I disagree that quitting was a hard as it would be for a heroin addict. Yes it was hard, but it generally doesn't ruin peoples lives and put them in physical danger as heroin or other hard drug recovery often does. It's all about willpower and being able and willing to take control of your own actions.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I see far too many people use an addiction as an excuse. I believe anyone can overcome an addiction without allowing it to ruin their lives. While I do not disagree that addiction may be a disease for some, for far to many it is used as an excuse for behavior they choose to engage in. In the end, while scientific recognition will help in the long run it will just give many in our society another crutch to lean on instead of taking responsibility for their own ives and their own actions, all the while knowing that the government will be there to give them aid and make their lives better (and generally misuse tax funds) while they continue to act stupidly.

As a former smoker I disagree that quitting was a hard as it would be for a heroin addict. Yes it was hard, but it generally doesn't ruin peoples lives and put them in physical danger as heroin or other hard drug recovery often does. It's all about willpower and being able and willing to take control of your own actions.
I worked for seven years in a ministry for addicts and while I do not consider myself an expert I have to say it isn't that simple.
Addicts are people and as people they are all different and run a wide range in behavior, addictions, and barriers to recovery.

For some it is just a simple matter of recognizing they have a problem and applying a little will power.

For others the addiction is just the tip of the iceberg and the hold the addictive substance has on their lives is rooted in deeper issues than just a chemical addiction. Unless those are recognized and dealt with the addict will just change coping mechanisms moving from one addiction to another without getting the freedom he or she is looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some it is just a simple matter of recognizing they have a problem and applying a little will power.

For others the addiction is just the tip of the iceberg and the hold the addictive substance has on their lives is rooted in deeper issues than just a chemical addiction. Unless those are recognized and dealt with the addict will just change coping mechanisms moving from one addiction to another without getting the freedom he or she is looking for.

For some much of that is true and as I said before it really may be a disease. Unfortunately once the word disease is used people then feel a sense of entitlement regardless of what their status is. While we as a society claim to hate labeling people or groups, we are simply switching one label for another in many case.

All that being said, I don't believe it is the governments job to be trying to fix an individuals personal problems. That is the individuals responsibility. The sense of entitlement comes when the government gets involved and starts decreeing what people are entitled to once they are labeled.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some much of that is true and as I said before it really may be a disease. Unfortunately once the word disease is used people then feel a sense of entitlement regardless of what their status is. While we as a society claim to hate labeling people or groups, we are simply switching one label for another in many case.

All that being said, I don't believe it is the governments job to be trying to fix an individuals personal problems. That is the individuals responsibility. The sense of entitlement comes when the government gets involved and starts decreeing what people are entitled to once they are labeled.

Absolutely true IMO!
Regardless of the reason for a person's struggles with addiction, unless they take the first step of accepting personal responsibility they are unlikely to get anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I see far too many people use an addiction as an excuse.
I believe anyone can overcome an addiction without allowing it to ruin their lives. While I do not disagree that addiction may be a disease for some, for far to many it is used as an excuse for behavior they choose to engage in. In the end, while scientific recognition will help in the long run it will just give many in our society another crutch to lean on instead of taking responsibility for their own ives and their own actions, all the while knowing that the government will be there to give them aid and make their lives better (and generally misuse tax funds) while they continue to act stupidly.

So do i and hate that people do. Its there easy way out.

Cant agree here. No matter what the addiction you cant die directly from withdrawl. So be it smokes or Heroin Quitting the addiction is the same essence. So trying to quit the addiction is exactly the same.
For me i get headaches and sweating, discomfort, lack of appetite and thats only from cigarettes :(
I had given up for 8 months and i suppose having no family to support me, once my depression hit again and my back went all it took was one and i was back in the rut . . . .

Yes and no.

Governments should help the Addict. If anything just to supply the support networks, Dr's, Head Doctors, having the beds in hospitals etc.
From THIS PDF this quote sings out
CHRISTOPHER
I became addicted and it took seven years for me to realise that I had to stop. In those seven years . . . I would get windows of opportunity to get out. I would feel like I could go to rehab or detox and everything like that but, when I would get on the phone to get in contact with [a treatment agency], there would not be a place available. The feeling of ‘okay, I’ve had enough, I
can get out’ would disappear. I would go back into it.
I hear this of to often.

They no the dangers smokes cause and bc of that MY government is basically trying to tax us out of buying them bc thats the only course of action they can can take now. in last 12mths a 20 pack gone from $9.3 to $14 in some cases.
WHY you ask ??? IMO for the revenue it provides. They say it is to try and stop people buying them, but addicts dont give up bc of price do they now ?? Noooo

As for the junkie we have a number of Methadone Injecting Rooms run by the government as harm reduction. There has been a lot of uproar about it but they do work.

Drug Advisory Council of Australia

Now the yes part. I do agree on the smoking habits as such. Yes it takes will power and as i said in a previous post, im envious of you and Kudos. I so wish i could, considering both my parents where smokers and 1 has past and the other is on there last legs. Both from multiple forms of cancer. You would think this and that i want to be around to see my son grow up it would be easy, but my addiction has taken hold and bc i havnt got the support around, this time around im struggling to give them up . . . .

Thanks for your thoughts baggss

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.