These refurbs come with free dings?

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting a Macbook Pro 13 for djing and an iMac later in the year for screen space and Guild Wars 2/Diablo 3. I'm wondering about these refurbs though. I'm sure they replace non working parts but do they look brand new as well? Do they replace that stuff to or could it come with a possibility of dents and scratches...hopefully not on the screen...just curious, anyone here by refurbs and have experience with this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We've had tons of members purchase refurbs. Thus far, they all have said they look just like new, except no fancy box.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The refurbs. are just like new...in fact I don't think that I've seen a refurbed. Apple product that looked other than new.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Sweet maybe i'll look into getting a refurb instead...although its my first mac maybe I should go for that first look at the box and unboxing feeling:)

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting a Macbook Pro 13 for djing and an iMac later in the year for screen space and Guild Wars 2/Diablo 3. I'm wondering about these refurbs though. I'm sure they replace non working parts but do they look brand new as well? Do they replace that stuff to or could it come with a possibility of dents and scratches...hopefully not on the screen...just curious, anyone here by refurbs and have experience with this?

If you purchase a refurbished Mac directly from Apple, it will almost certainly be indistinguishable from brand new.

I live in Sacramento, and iMacs used to be made in nearby Elk Grove. I got to tour that facility a couple of times. At the end of the production line a real human being turns on each Mac. If you watch, you can see that if a Mac isn't perfect, the Mac is pulled off the production line and sent to a special area to be repaired and tested a bunch more times. These Macs, once repaired, can't legally be sold as new for some reason. These are your "refurbs", but they really are no different than a brand-new Mac. In fact they are probably better, because they have been tested a bunch of times to assure that they are perfect. They have never been "pre-owned" and they aren't "scratch and dent".

On the other hand, I would never purchase a "refurbished" Mac from a dealer, and especially not from a dealer that is not an Apple store. These may be someone else's lemon that is being passed on to you. There is an entire back story to store-bought refurbs, and I can relate it sometime if you want me to, but suffice it to say that it is best to stick with factory refurbs.

Just about every Mac that I have ever purchased has been a factory refurb, and they have all been flawless.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well these refurbs sound pretty legit i'll prolly pick thru those instead, save myself a lil coin for accessories or what not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
if its an authorized retailer im sure the quality control is fine.

the only "refurb" I wouldnt trust is something on ebay because many people that list on ebay call "refurb" them fixing some junk that came in.

If you ask if its an authorized refurbisher and it is more then likely you are safe..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
My Core i5 Refurb came looking (and working) like new. Absolutely flawless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mac Pro refurb was purchased from the Laguna Blvd complex, Elk Grove, in July 2007 and has had a power supply replaced under AppleCare warranty. Go for it.

Reaction score
if its an authorized retailer im sure the quality control is fine.

I wouldn't be so sure. Apple allows authorized dealers (that is, third party retailers) to only return a certain amount of equipment to Apple for repair within a certain time period. Beyond that they expect equipment to be fixed on-site.

That can put a retailer in a bind. They might get stuck with a few machines that are lemons that they can't return and which they can't figure out how to fix. Some dealers might (and have been known to) resort to selling those machines as refurbished in order to get out from under them.

Like I said, it's best to stick with factory refurbished Macs that you get directly from Apple. Otherwise you can't be entirely sure of what you are getting.

There was once a discussion thread about this on Macintouch, but I can't find it right now. So you will just have to take this for what it's worth to you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well if I do go refurb I will most definitely order from the apple online store, no worries.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Another refurb owner here..I picked up a i7 iMac in March 2010 and apart from the nondescript white box, the iMac itself is pristine clean. It's worked without any problems and I had the 1 year applecare included which I upgraded to 2 more years once the first year elapsed..

Plus I ended up saving nearly $400 off the new iMac price..

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
Also, how does it work if you have problems come up? If u buy from Best Buy do you have to take it there, or if online you have to send it in, or apple store to apple store etc.

Reaction score
Where can I get one? I feel a Mac mini will do me good I really just want to burn movies music and download the two. And just browse and shop the Internet a pm if you can please.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Also, how does it work if you have problems come up? If u buy from Best Buy do you have to take it there, or if online you have to send it in, or apple store to apple store etc.

If you buy your Mac from an authorized seller (either brick and mortar or online) you have exactly the same support options as buying from the Apple Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.