Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You don't..just don't use it..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Unfortunately we don't remove or delete accounts. Thanks!

(Also, moved to correct forum)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
put it this way, it saves you the hassle if you change your mind.

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't remove or delete accounts. Thanks!

(Also, moved to correct forum)

Well, than I come with a suggestion for the site: give users the freedom to do what THEY want with their accounts. Anyway, the feedback here is great and people seem nice :). Congrats on the site even if we can't delete our accounts!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, than I come with a suggestion for the site: give users the freedom to do what THEY want with their accounts. Anyway, the feedback here is great and people seem nice :). Congrats on the site even if we can't delete our accounts!

I guess my question is why? What difference does it make if your account is active or not? Is it merely the fact that it exists on some small corner of the Internet that you find disturbing, or is there something tangible that you don't want to see?

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
I guess my question is why? What difference does it make if your account is active or not? Is it merely the fact that it exists on some small corner of the Internet that you find disturbing, or is there something tangible that you don't want to see?

Email privacy and all that. I just found it surprising since that's the kind of option you find on any site really. Also, I don't really like having forgotten-about accounts spread on the Internet ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Email privacy and all that. I just found it surprising since that's the kind of option you find on any site really. Also, I don't really like having forgotten-about accounts spread on the Internet ;P

Actually most sites don't let you just delete your account, especially most forum sites. Allowing people to randomly decide to delete accounts creates all sorts of problems maintaining historical accuracy and authenticity of the conversations.

FWIW, we have a very strict privacy policy and don't share information. You can always change your email to something gibberish, but in that case you won't be able to post again until you add back a legit email and confirm through it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Aha! I have a solution for you then....

1. Click the Profile button (right next to the Home | Mac Forum Blog | buttons at the top of the Mac-Forums screen).
2. Click the Edit Options link
3. Under "Default Subscription Mode", flip the drop-down to "No email notification".

That will stop any further emails when threads you're involved with are updated.

Another option would be to simply change your registered email address to something that doesn't exist:

1. Click the Profile button
2. Click the Edit Email & Password link
3. Change and confirm your fake email address

Then when you're all done, be sure to click the "Log out" button along the top right of the Mac-Forums page. Once you're logged out, it's pretty much like you don't exist anymore and you won't get any email or further communication.

Although we'd love to have you here as part of our community, it's entirely up to you whether you choose to participate.

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
Aha! I have a solution for you then....

1. Click the Profile button (right next to the Home | Mac Forum Blog | buttons at the top of the Mac-Forums screen).
2. Click the Edit Options link
3. Under "Default Subscription Mode", flip the drop-down to "No email notification".

That will stop any further emails when threads you're involved with are updated.

Another option would be to simply change your registered email address to something that doesn't exist:

1. Click the Profile button
2. Click the Edit Email & Password link
3. Change and confirm your fake email address

Then when you're all done, be sure to click the "Log out" button along the top right of the Mac-Forums page. Once you're logged out, it's pretty much like you don't exist anymore and you won't get any email or further communication.

Although we'd love to have you here as part of our community, it's entirely up to you whether you choose to participate.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind! Good advise :)
Thanks to everyone for answering!

Reaction score
Actually most sites don't let you just delete your account, especially most forum sites. Allowing people to randomly decide to delete accounts creates all sorts of problems maintaining historical accuracy and authenticity of the conversations.

FWIW, we have a very strict privacy policy and don't share information. You can always change your email to something gibberish, but in that case you won't be able to post again until you add back a legit email and confirm through it.

Really? The website forums I have built, the ones I have moderated and the majority of forum sites I have joined all allowed for account deletion. This is the first. And I think if you check, you can actually delete an account, I think you are choosing not to. Your choice, but you might make people aware of that BEFORE signing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? The website forums I have built, the ones I have moderated and the majority of forum sites I have joined all allowed for account deletion. This is the first. And I think if you check, you can actually delete an account, I think you are choosing not to. Your choice, but you might make people aware of that BEFORE signing up.

Well I've never really found it common.

Also, where did I ever said we couldn't delete accounts? Of course it's a choice not to do so, but that is our policy. Technically we do tell you when signing up when we state your account and your posts are the property of Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 Unibody, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD OSX 10.8.2
Hi,

Know this is an old post but it's still relevant and the interface has changed since last I logged in at Mac-Forums.

I can not find any Edit profile button anywhere. I want to change my password.

Anyone got a clue?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Know this is an old post but it's still relevant and the interface has changed since last I logged in at Mac-Forums.

I can not find any Edit profile button anywhere. I want to change my password.

Anyone got a clue?

At the top of the Mac-Forums.com webpage, you'll see two bars of links. The gray one, just below the Home / Forums / Articles / Advertise / Contact Us bar has a button that says "UserCP", otherwise known as "User Control Panel".

Click on that and you'll see the link along the left side for 'Edit Email and Password'. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 Unibody, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD OSX 10.8.2

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The policies of Mac-Forums has been made clear by other Staff already, we don't delete accounts. CWA107 has indicated the steps necessary to change your email address or other information to essentially cripple the account.

We'll leave it at that - Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.