• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Monitor + FCP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
How would you set up a (professional) video monitor to a PowerMac G5 for use with Final Cut Pro? Would you just use the $20 Apple DVI to Video adaptor, or would you need another video card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you should be able to just hook up the DVI cable to the DVI ports on the back of the powermacs' video card.

edit: unless it is an older monitor i guess, then you'd need to use that connector...what monitor is this?
-chris

OP
validpretense
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, not a computer monitor, a pro video monitor. RCA/S-Vid inputs. And I know that the DVI to Video adaptor will connect the PowerMac to the monitor, but I want to set it up so that Final Cut automaticaly sets it as a monitor to be used with the program.

Reaction score
if you dont mind me asking what cable are you talking about for the dvi to video, because it sounds like something I would want to buy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Yeah. The Apple port thing to whatever (VGA, etc) VGA one comes with all computer. (At least iMac and iBook, I know that)

OP
validpretense
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The video adaptor is these:
For iBook, iMac, eMac, Old PowerBook G4 12in (Mini Video)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...r0JSl/2.0.0.15.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.0.1.1.2.1.0.3
For PowerMac G5 / Mac Mini (Standard DVI)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71601/wo/Dk7gZhTyPeuc2jtWOS811zr0JSl/5.0.0.15.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.3
For the *current* PowerBook G4 12 inch (MiniDVI)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71601/wo/Dk7gZhTyPeuc2jtWOS811zr0JSl/5.0.0.15.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.0.1.1.1.1.0.3

I'm not talking about VGA. By 'professional video monitor' I mean kind of like a TV- RCA and Svid inpits. I kno how to connect these, but I don't know if it'll work for Final Cut to recognise it as a video monitor, so that the FCP monitor will be displeyed on the video monitor automatically, as opposed to using it as a spanning screen and centering the monitor window to match up, because I want an accurate output.

OP
validpretense
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fcp.jpg

I mean like this. (Photoshoped composite of google images)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g4 1ghz
since your editing, im sure you have a video camera with firewire and rca or s-video outputs......
connect your camera via firewire to your g5, then to the tv through the rca or s-video, then on fcp go to audio/video settings, then av devices, and select the firewire camera, or go to view>video playback, and select the firewire camera, then go to view>external video.. and select all frames...
that should work, its how i have mine set-up..
theres other ways, but this is the cheapest, since you most likely have a camera already wih these ports

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
What you are actually doing is converting the Firewire DV output created by Final Cut to an Analog Component signal for the monitor. nutter already mentioned how to setup that DV output in FCP.

If you are looking for something as a standalone solution than this can be done through a signal converter such as the Canopus ADVC110, which is what I use, or a good DV deck. As nutter mentioned the cheapest way would be to use the DV camera you are using to shoot your videos with... Which would work just fine.

The advantage of the Canopus is you also can use it to directly digitize analog signals such as a VCR or BetaSP deck as well. Whereas with a deck or camera they usually will not do an instant Analog to DV throughput... so you have to dub the Analog video to a DV tape first. But unless you will be digitizing analog sources it really won't make any difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.