ATV2 does not see my library

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New to atv2, installed it and everything seemed to fine. Tunred on Home sharing in itunes and Atv2. Logged into itunes on both accounts. Atv2 does not see my library not matter what I do. Can some please help. The problem is probably small but I can get my hear around it.

Thanks.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Is it showing your computer in the "computers" list on the ATV2?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi netfel,

No its not showing up whatsoever I'm getting nada I am able to use the device in every other way except see or select my computer in the computer parts

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, and iTunes is running on your desktop, and home sharing is turned on in iTunes? Have you also checked if you have a firewall that may be blocking it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Turned of the firewall in the iMac unless my router has one? It's zyxel router. I really baffled !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, is the ATV2 on a different side of the router then the computer? Are you sure home sharing is turned on (not just logged into iTunes)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's weird. Try turning off home sharing on the computer and the ATv (remove account credentials), then turn on home sharing on iTunes then turn it on for the ATV. I would probably also try to find what IP the ATV has and see if I could ping it from the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
This maybe so obvious, but it worked for me so I thought I would mention it.
I turned off Home Sharing on the Computer, and then turned it back on and it showed up on my ATV2.

Worth a shot.

Also make sure the iTunes Account is the same one for each device and you also have to be on the same local network.

DavidH

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the replies but none have worked. I'll try and take this from teh beginning because right now I feel like flinging at2 out the window.

I recently done a erase and install on my 24'' iMac. I installed a retail version of Leopard and installed a Snow Leopard upgrade (10.6.3) and rann all the updates that there was. I had my previous itunes home folder backed up on an external HD and I copied that one across and over wrote the new itunes home folder. I then imported this library into my new itunes. I read somewhere that this could be the cause of ATV not seeing my library, it suggested rebuilding the library (deleting files reimporting the xml list etc etc., which I did)

I installed ATV after all of this and now I am where I am with a halfed baked ATV!

I have ZyXEL router SEE LINK ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3 Wireless G ADSL2+ Router - Misco.co.uk. this comes as a standard router from my broadband provider could this be the source of my problems? I came across a discussion on boards.ie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086520

The first three numbers of ATV and MAC IPs are teh same. Firewall is turned on but allows iTunes incoming connections.

I am really really baffled. My wireless setting is on WPA Personal. I hope something can be gleamed from this.

Reaction score
I had this problem too. Apple TV2 could see my MacBook Library, but not my iMac library.

It turned out that my problem was that my iMac was an Authorized Computer under an older apple ID - which was different to the Apple ID I now use for Home Sharing. It seems that Apple TV2 will only work with a Mac if that Mac is authorised under one Apple ID only. Therefore, on my iMac, I logged out of the iTunes store under my newer Apple ID account and I logged back in under my old user account. I then went to Store -> Deauthorize this Computer. I then logged back into iTunes under my newer account and reauthorized my iMac.

Everything works fine now. My Apple TV2 can now see the library on my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.