dragging files

Reaction score
Hi ~ I am new to mac and I have a questions about dragging files. I have always backed up my music to an external hard drive. When I got the imac and opened itunes, all music from my external COPIED to itunes. Well I have since purchased new songs from amazon and they all go into itunes. I want to back up the new stuff by COPYING to my external with the rest of my music. Everything says just drag it to the external icon. But when I do, it won't take and "bounces" back. Can anyone tell me whats going on with that?? I feel so stupid. :Blushing:LOL
Thanks!!

C

chas_m

As I understand your question, you want to make a manual backup of the Music folder in your Users folder.

If I read you correctly, you're saying that all the music is already in the iTunes Library, and now you just want to back it up by copying this (or the entire Music folder, whichever) to an external drive.

If I've gotten this right so far, I suspect the problem is that your external drive is formatted NTFS. If so, the Mac can read FROM such a drive, but can't write TO it without some third-party help. Or you can reformat the external drive to use the Mac format and avoid the problem entirely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro retina 13" 8gb, 120ssd, i5 cpu, imac 8gb, 2.7ghz i5,1tb, iphone 5s 16gb. ipad 2 32gb
sounds to me like ur externall hdd is ntfs as chas m says can read and copy off the externall hdd but not copy onto the externall hdd u need to back everything up on ur external hdd to ur mac or other computer and reformat your externall hdd to fat 32 or exfat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro retina 13" 8gb, 120ssd, i5 cpu, imac 8gb, 2.7ghz i5,1tb, iphone 5s 16gb. ipad 2 32gb
glad we could help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.