• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MEdia on firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
So, I was trying to watch a video on our local news webpage and usually with Internet Explorer, the file will play on Microsoft Media Player. When I go to the same page using FireFox, it want me to download the Plug-ins for Real Player. Why? Why can't it just play on media player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Usually, websites use cookies to remember which media player you prefer to use. That cookie in Firefox was probably set to Real for some reason, while the same cookie in IE is set to Windows Media.

Is there a "Change player" or "Player preferences" link on the page? If you can click on that in Firefox it'll probably let you change the cookie value for that browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.