Connecting to my PC from macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
Really two questions here, can I:

A. Connect to the PC and have full access to the entire system instead of just the home folder?

Currently using smb://192.168.0.101/users then just typing in my PC password (windows 7) to get access to my home folder across the network.

B. Can I run files ON my PC FROM my Mac?
Ie drag over a file from my mac into my home folder, then run it on the PC remotely from the mac?

Or am I connecting in a stupidly convoluted mannor, and would be better doing in some other way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
A - That all depends on how you have sharing setup from the Windows side (and the converse it true on the Mac side) You usually have to explicitly share folders on either system. You can share the entire drive - but that is dangerous especially if you travel with your systems. Security is a call you have to make for yourself.

B - Yes - it goes in both directions - if you mount a drive in either direction the files just look like files on the computer. The only issues I've seen is if you are using different users/permissions - you may not be able to edit the file.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
Sorry, what I meant for B. was: Can I actually execute a file to run ON the pc, remotely from the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I'm not sure how you would do that as the binaries are different. If you want to run something on the PC - from your Mac you could do something like Remote Desktop Connection (RDC).

Do you have a use model that you are thinking about? I mean - lets say I have Autocad running on my PC and on my Mac - I could open up an DWG on either system from a remote mount - but I wouldn't be able to run the Windows Autocad binary on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.