Which mac is for me?

Reaction score
I been wanting to try another OS besides windows for a while - been messing with Linux for the last couple years but i really dont like it.

I hear macs are user friendly and pretty and virus free :p

I been thinking of getting the Mac Mini, or the Macbook Pro - from what i understand they both have the same standard Nvidia graphics card - i dont need anything Too overpoewred as my desktop right now is an alienware which is great for gaming - but i guess my antivirus cant keep up with all the malware out there and my computer can be sluggish (until i do a fresh install of windows) (and yes i defragment the hard drive)

So what would yall recommend for gaming (star wars galaxies, TOR when it comes out, lord of the rings online) and college (studying IT)...

tbh i have mixed feelings on getting a macbook because I have a bad track record with laptops (i can be clumsy!) so i prefer a desktop. (also because the mini is cheaper)

So is the mac Mini a good machine?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I been wanting to try another OS besides windows for a while - been messing with Linux for the last couple years but i really dont like it.

I hear macs are user friendly and pretty and virus free :p

I been thinking of getting the Mac Mini, or the Macbook Pro - from what i understand they both have the same standard Nvidia graphics card - i dont need anything Too overpoewred as my desktop right now is an alienware which is great for gaming - but i guess my antivirus cant keep up with all the malware out there and my computer can be sluggish (until i do a fresh install of windows) (and yes i defragment the hard drive)

So what would yall recommend for gaming (star wars galaxies, TOR when it comes out, lord of the rings online) and college (studying IT)...

tbh i have mixed feelings on getting a macbook because I have a bad track record with laptops (i can be clumsy!) so i prefer a desktop. (also because the mini is cheaper)

So is the mac Mini a good machine?

Well if you prefer a desktop, then the Mac mini would be a great choice. You could also just use your existing monitor and keyboard… just get a KVM switch to toggle back and forth. HOWEVER… the Mac mini is due real soon for a refresh and will be worth the wait. I'd guess within 1-2 months the new ones will drop, and I'd expect Thunderbolt, Sandy Bridge, and a much improved GPU.

If you find that this all may be a bit cluttered to have 2 computers, and it's not a stretch of your finances, consider getting an iMac. The new models are quite nice and the higher-specced ones should easily meet your gaming needs. You can, of course, dual-boot Windows as needed.

Edit: just as a reference… I have last-year's iMac 21.5" i3 model with the upgraded GPU. I can run Starcraft 2 at "medium" graphics settings with my native resolution very comfortably. I've read that the 27 inchers with the best GPU upgrade can handle the Ultra settings very comfortably. And that was last year's-models. The new ones out are much improved across the board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The BIG question is...WHY do you want to "try out" the Mac OS???

The reason why I ask is...what happens after you've spent $1500 bucks on an Apple computer...you discover you don't like it??

What experience do you have using Macintosh computers? Have you been to an Apple Store to try one out...or have a friend/coworker/or acquaintance that has an Apple computer that you can "play" around with?

- Nick

OP
Sento
Reaction score
@lifeisabeach cool thanks alot!

@pigoo3 idk i just like computers and want to see all the different kinds....thats why i am not going after a high end mac im most likely just going to get the mac mini...but even so im going to think alot before i buy it because i do notice i cant play my favorite games on mac ( i know i can bootcamp but i rather just use my pc if i have to use windows hehe)

OP
Sento
Reaction score
oh and yeah i tried out a macbook at the apple store it was pretty cool - but i think id have to have a mac at home and be able to install/uninstall various programs to get a real feel for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@lifeisabeach cool thanks alot!

@pigoo3 idk i just like computers and want to see all the different kinds....thats why i am not going after a high end mac im most likely just going to get the mac mini...but even so im going to think alot before i buy it because i do notice i cant play my favorite games on mac ( i know i can bootcamp but i rather just use my pc if i have to use windows hehe)

If you aren't going to make "heavy" use of it, you may as well go cheap and get a used one off eBay. I'd probably stick to no older than a 2009 model, and preferably running Snow Leopard. If you wait a couple months till the new ones drop, the used ones will be even cheaper. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
oh and yeah i tried out a macbook at the apple store it was pretty cool - but i think id have to have a mac at home and be able to install/uninstall various programs to get a real feel for it.

Just remember...many titles written for Windows computers are not available for Macintosh computers. So if you're thinking of comparing applications between a Windows and a Macintosh computer...you may have mixed success depending on the apps. (especially games).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Let me give you an idea of what installing/uninstalling app in OS X is like. Drag the app (usually a single file*) into your Applications folder (or any folder you like). It's installed. Don't like where you put it? Move it. OS X doesn't generally care… it'll keep track of it. Want to uninstall it? Delete it. Done.

*Apps are actually not a single file, but a special folder containing all the files needed for the program to run. Think of it as an auto-run folder.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Note: This was posted in our off-topic forum "The Lounge", moved it to a more suitable forum. Thanks.

C

chas_m

It should be noted that as the OP placed a high priority on gaming, it's possible that the "mobile" graphics card found in the current Mac mini could be a mild disappointment. Compared to PCs, Apple tends to put extremely good but "underpowered-by-gaming-standards" cards in their machines. So gamers complain a lot about it, and everyone else just wanders what the heck is wrong with those guys. :)

For anything OTHER than very high-end 3D stuff, the video cards in most Macs is just dandy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.