Another iTunes Transfer Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2011 MacBook Pro 15" On the hunt for a 2011 iMac 27"
I have read several articles and tutorials on moving the iTunes Library form PC to Mac. My 27" iMac is ready and waiting.

I looked at the iTunes folder on my old PC and the file structure is strange. The iTunes Media Folder location is standard but the library is also seeing music that is in a folder labeled "music" that is within the iTunes Media folder.

This does not seem to match with what I have read and I am surprised iTunes sees all of the media in that folder. (the bulk of the music is in there)

I am planning to make the move this weekend and I am thinking of taking the Music folder and renaming it iTunes Media so it will drop onto the Mac in the correct hierarchy. I am trying to avoid losing playlists but it wouldn'd be the end of the world if I did.

Also, on the PC I had 3 logins running iTunes which all had separate settings so everyone's iPod synced their way. Is that necessary on the Mac? Or will the iPod, once connected identify the user and sync to their preferecnces?

I'mn just looking for a streamlined way to run iTunes. The PC setip was a nightmare.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Assuming both machines are on your home network - just turn on HomeSharing in iTunes on both machines.

iTunes: Understanding Home Sharing

If you have a big library, I'd suggest setting up both machines via ethernet to your router for the initial move.
If you're going to continue using both machines, you can set up HomeSharing to auto sync whatever you add to each other's library.
Only thing I've found that will not autosync are audible books.
Those I have to copy manually.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2011 MacBook Pro 15" On the hunt for a 2011 iMac 27"
Great advice. I like this option. I didn't think the Homesharing would copy over the library. Looks like this is what I will attempt. I am NOT keeping the PC, I'm so fed up with the blue screens and the applications that are "Not Responding". I cleaned house and replaced my family's laptops with MacBook Pros and now the desktop is going.

Assuming both machines are on your home network - just turn on HomeSharing in iTunes on both machines.

iTunes: Understanding Home Sharing

If you have a big library, I'd suggest setting up both machines via ethernet to your router for the initial move.
If you're going to continue using both machines, you can set up HomeSharing to auto sync whatever you add to each other's library.
Only thing I've found that will not autosync are audible books.
Those I have to copy manually.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you close down your PC for the last time, head back into iTunes and de-authorize that machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.