Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
First post:)
Moved to a Macbook Pro 15" last week and been spending the past few days setting up. I wanted to start my post by saying a big "thank you" to all those who have contributed to this forum. Your posts have made what seemed a pretty daunting task into one which, if not quite pleasurable, has certainly been almost trouble free! I've followed the various advices and am running the supplied software, transferred contacts, mails etc., used a hard drive to transfer all my data...

I have run into one problem which caused frustration, as a devoted Truecrypt user I found that it did not work on the machine but, sure enough, there is a forum with the correct patch for Macfuse and advice on what to do which has fixed it up nicely.

Having moved all my data via a spare old hard drive I am now starting to look at backups, I have only a relatively small amount of data at the moment but I am more interested in the HDD format if anyone could advise? When I go to disc utility I was surprised to be offered five different format options excluding my current FAT. I have seen posts on the types of backup software but apologies if I have missed the type of format to use?

I am busily learning the various shortcuts. I find the delete key odd - it seems to be a backspace? Is there an option to change it from backspace to delete i.e. delete characters to the front not the rear?

Finally, my only niggle is heat! I have read the comments that if it does not shut down on you don't worry but my! I could fry an egg on this:Smirk:!! Still, in the winter I guess it will be nice!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the forum and congrats on that new machine.

First post:)

Having moved all my data via a spare old hard drive I am now starting to look at backups, I have only a relatively small amount of data at the moment but I am more interested in the HDD format if anyone could advise? When I go to disc utility I was surprised to be offered five different format options excluding my current FAT. I have seen posts on the types of backup software but apologies if I have missed the type of format to use?

If you plan on using Time Machine, superduper! or CCC, you'll want HFS+ (aka OS X Extended (Journaled)).

I am busily learning the various shortcuts. I find the delete key odd - it seems to be a backspace? Is there an option to change it from backspace to delete i.e. delete characters to the front not the rear?

Option - Delete will allow you to forward delete
It won't take you long to get used to it.
I'm on a Windows machine 8 hrs a day at work and found that somehow I've changed to using the backspace key there almost all the time instead of the delete key.

Finally, my only niggle is heat! I have read the comments that if it does not shut down on you don't worry but my! I could fry an egg on this:Smirk:!! Still, in the winter I guess it will be nice!

Yep, if you want to use one of these things that uses the aluminum case as a giant heat sink - need to grab a laptop stand to use - or have semi-permanent red marks on the top of your legs. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Option - Delete will allwo you to forward delete.

On my mbp it's fn+delete to forward delete.

OP
Pigstick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
Thanks Guys,

fn+delete - perfect, getting the hang of this keyboard....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
oops, hadn't had my share of morning coffee yet

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Still, in the winter I guess it will be nice!

You don't know how right you are about this! Many times this Winter with my hot MacBook Pro on my lap I was plenty/comfortably warm...where otherwise I would have had to turn on a space heater!:)

But now that the weather is MUCH warmer...no way can I have it on my legs/lap...way too hot!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.