Buying a New MAC: Refurbished or Latest Model?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting my first MAC; a MacBook Pro 15. Now, even though I admit the machines are worth its price, I think going refurbished could be beneficial in my pocket pocket (I have also heard that refurbished are even better machines). However, my concern is that I will get a 2010 machine (that's what they have at their store for now) and I wonder if the computer, even though it could save me as much as $600, isn't as powerful as the new ones making it a not-so-good purchase.

What do you guys think? Here's an example refurbished they have: Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.).

I plan to use the laptop for work (I'm a web/graphic designer planning to work with video and on the go [has to be a top computer I can take anywhere so I can work on everything I need]).

Thanks! ;D

C

chas_m

From what I've read, the new ones are substantially faster (to the tune of 25%) but much more importantly in my view have Thunderbolt. I think that will future-proof them better than the older model. Of course, for me laptops tend to have only a four- or five-year lifespan, so I'm not sure that matters much.

I've had nothing but great experiences with refurbs, but it's your call on this one.

OP
K
Reaction score
Refurbished MACs

From what I've read, the new ones are substantially faster (to the tune of 25%) but much more importantly in my view have Thunderbolt. I think that will future-proof them better than the older model. Of course, for me laptops tend to have only a four- or five-year lifespan, so I'm not sure that matters much.

I've had nothing but great experiences with refurbs, but it's your call on this one.

I think we are on the same side then. I also think that "missing" Thunderbolt will not be good. For a few years now, I have considered that buying the best is the way to go. And, 4 - 5 years is also what I look after.

Let's see if anyone else has an opinion on the subject.

PS: By the way, I liked your "newbie" guide, pretty helpful, even though I do not share the "slight hatred" you portray constantly throughout the post against Windows and "how bad it is for you." Just so you know, the BEST people I have talked about MAC have not told me anything bad about Windows; in fact, they did not say anything about it. And that was made me think: ok, I will consider MAC. It is about the quality of the machines, not about focusing on how bad "the others" are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
While I can see TB as a draw, there aren't many uses for it right now and there are not likely to be until Apple licenses it's use to 3rd party vendors. I have read various sources that claim this could be up to 2 year before this happens so external devices may be somewhat more pricey and detract from the usefulness of the TB.

I personally wouldn't let TB be the deciding factor in this decision. Apple has floated wonderful technologies that that never went anywhere in the past and TB may end up in the same boat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy your new Mac.
And remember, it is "Mac". Not "MAC" or "mac". They mean different things. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
All of my stuff is always refurb or used. I stay a year or so behind and just upgrade every other year or every year. With how well apples hold onto their value my stuff usually sells for almost exactly what I paid for it. Why not upgrade yearly for $100 or so.. lol...

Just my thoughts. I mostly run web design stuff and photoshop and have never had an issue. I would personally rather upgrade like this then I have the same machine for 3-5 years.

figured Id add my 2 cents since I have a slightly different opinion. Hope it helps you decide whats best, thats really the only arguments I have for why I do what I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
I was in the same gravyboat a few months back. I had just enough scratch to get the bottom-end iMac i3, or enough to get a refurb iMac i5 with a faster processor, better video, and double my hard drive size. I talked to a few guys here, called up Apple and talked to a few techs, and they really set my heart at ease. Plus with AppleCare, it really was a no-brainer. The refurb looked every bit as "new" as a new machine and it works great! I have no complaints.

I'd go refurb. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
yah Im pretty sure refurbished means any parts that dont look great or didnt work are replaced with brand new parts....

C

chas_m

While I can see TB as a draw, there aren't many uses for it right now and there are not likely to be until Apple licenses it's use to 3rd party vendors.

I have to correct you here (gently). Thunderbolt is not an Apple technology -- it belongs to Intel, and they've been licensing it like crazy. It just takes time between a technology's unveiling and products being designed and made and entering the marketplace. Apple assisted in the development of TB and in exchange got a bit of head start on adopting it, but it has the full support of the entire industry (even Intel's rival, AMD!).

I think where some of the confusion comes from is that USB3, also developed by Intel, has been kind of slow to gain acceptance (compared to USB2 for example). This will likely change over the next year, but this won't really affect TB very much as it does complementary (and more pro-level) work, so most consumer computers in the PC space will likely have one TB and 2 or or more USB3 plugs, whereas Apple will likely use more TB plugs and fewer USB3. Either way, both will find an audience.

TB products are already trickling out in the marketplace -- you can order LaCie and Buffalo HD units with TB right now, and the "pro AV" space has many more TB products on the way. TB will be aimed mainly at the high-end crowd for now, with USB3 for the lower-end crowd mainly.

I have read various sources that claim this could be up to 2 year before this happens so external devices may be somewhat more pricey and detract from the usefulness of the TB.

TB devices don't appear (so far) to carry any price premium over USB3. Admittedly, it's early days yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have to correct you here (gently).

I stand corrected...sort of...

AppleInsider | Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start

Still waiting to see TB peripherals in my local electronics superstore....I see TONS of USB 3 devices there already.....

Until they become common, and inexpensive (ala' USB 1, 2 or 3) the viability still remains to be seen. The big question is will PC makers who's products use non-Intel brands adopt this technology (did they adopt "lightpeak")? If not then all bets are off. So my original point stands, don't let TB drive your decision now since it's too early to tell if it's going to be worth the money or effort in 2 to 4 years.....

OP
K
Reaction score
USB3 not supported on new Macs?

I stand corrected...sort of...

AppleInsider | Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start

Still waiting to see TB peripherals in my local electronics superstore....I see TONS of USB 3 devices there already.....

Until they become common, and inexpensive (ala' USB 1, 2 or 3) the viability still remains to be seen. The big question is will PC makers who's products use non-Intel brands adopt this technology (did they adopt "lightpeak")? If not then all bets are off. So my original point stands, don't let TB drive your decision now since it's too early to tell if it's going to be worth the money or effort in 2 to 4 years.....

You surely make a strong point here. I think focusing on USB3 and/or Firewire is the way to go. However, I see that USB3 is not supported, only 2.0 (and 1.0 of course): what do you have to say about this?

C

chas_m

The big question is will PC makers who's products use non-Intel brands adopt this technology (did they adopt "lightpeak")?

Light Peak is Thunderbolt. They are one and the same thing. Light Peak was the code name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You surely make a strong point here. I think focusing on USB3 and/or Firewire is the way to go. However, I see that USB3 is not supported, only 2.0 (and 1.0 of course): what do you have to say about this?
I would say that Apple opted for the faster solution. I'm actually hoping that the PC manufacturers follow suit. That being said, I'm not convinced yet that they will.

C

chas_m

USB 3 is not presently supported because it's not presently a standard. Although there are USB 3 items available now, it will be another year or so before USB 3 is the standard port on Windows computers rather than USB 2.

Thunderbolt, on the other hand, can BE USB 3 if you want it to. Or Firewire. Or e-SATA. Just a matter of adapters. This opens up interesting possibilities (I'm expecting someone out there to develop a SCSI Thunderbolt adapter, which would be hilarious).

I'm not saying that I think all computers will just have Thunderbolt in the future and we'll all have to carry around a bunch of adapters -- I think USB 3 will be the standard connector in a couple years' time and very widespread with consumer devices, exactly as USB 2 is today.

Thunderbolt will be more the professional's choice, and since it CAN be so flexible I'm sure some companies will take advantage of that.

Aside to Dysfunction: PC manufacturers generally don't have a lot of say on this, since they don't design their own motherboards for the most part (Apple excluded). Intel is the leading supplier of PC motherboards, so they'll put whatever they want on it. I suspect the norm in a year or two's time is that low-end PCs will have only USB 3, while higher-end ones will have both TB and USB 3. Apple will probably wait until USB 3 is ubiquitous before adding it to their consumer line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You'd be surprised what we can spec ;)

Now, I work in the industry.. just not at that end. It would stand to reason that if we can state specific items in the spec, they can too. Or they're not enough of a player for the manufacturers of their boards (Foxconn, ASUS, etc) to bother.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.