Arial everywhere! (font madness)

Reaction score
Somehow all of a sudden last week, Google started showing all my search results in ALL CAPS ARIAL font.
I've also noticed it in email replies from people.

It's very hard to read, and I'm very confused about how this happened and how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Somehow all of a sudden last week, Google started showing all my search results in ALL CAPS ARIAL font.
I've also noticed it in email replies from people.

It's very hard to read, and I'm very confused about how this happened and how to fix it?

That is odd. I would try deleting the Fonts cache, then reboot and see if that fixes it. Onyx can do this, found on the menu under Cleaning.

OP
B
Reaction score
wellllll.
i've tried using Onyx to solve this, with no avail...(onyx>cleaning>systems+users).

despite updating to Mac OS 10.6.8 and both Firefox and Safari browsers,
I STILL get all my Google search results in ALL CAPS ARIAL font.

any other ideas / advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Screenshot please.

OP
B
Reaction score
screenshot attached.

this is happening in both Firfox and Safari. not only are web results in Arial All Caps, but also lots of the text i type.
some of my incoming emails show up in Apple Mail as Arial All Caps, too.

default fonts for both Firefox and Safari are set to "Times."
if i copy the Arial text from my browsers and paste it into a blank TextEdit document, it shows up as "Times," even though my default font for new TextEdit docs is set to Helvetica.

i tried the Onyx font cleaning again, as well as Onyx's browser cache cleaning.
no dice.:'(

Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 6.21.20 AM.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This old thread has the answer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice catch Van! That reminds me of when I installed SP-1 for Office 2011 it overwrote a bunch of fonts in both the library fonts and Office font folders resulting in lots of dupes. Font Book resolved it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nice catch Van! That reminds me of when I installed SP-1 for Office 2011 it overwrote a bunch of fonts in both the library fonts and Office font folders resulting in lots of dupes. Font Book resolved it.
It took my "expert" Google skills for that one. ;)

What an odd problem with 2011 SP1. I didn't have that happen to me so I wonder what it was that caused that for you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah!
I just used the "validate fonts" feature in font book to discover I had (+-) 1200 fonts, and (+-) 800 of them had various "issues" or "duplicates."
I moved all fonts from my "User" account into the "Library" and then deleted all duplicates.
I'm now totally consolidated and browsers display as they should.
Thanks y'all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.