Xcode 4 issues on sandybridge imac!

Reaction score
Today I installed xcode 4 from my OS X installation CD and the thing constantly crashes, so im wondering what the alternative is for the version, if i was to install an older version would i be able to carry my projects to xcode 4 when it gets fixed, and if theres anything better for making applications aside from xcode? please help!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
have you updated it to the latest through software update?

or have you tried downloading the combo update from the Apple Developer site? (You do have to register, but it should be the latest)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As to whether there is anything better, you're going to need to tell us what language you're using.

As for the crashing, do you have a crash log or error message you can share with us?

OP
J
Reaction score
Well ive never actually programed an application before but im looking forward to it, and dedicating time and research to doing it, so can anyone point me in the right direction to go? Id appreciate it

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well, you won't need Xcode to do development for a significant number of languages. If you want to do Objective-C and Cocoa programming (in other words, "pure" and fully native Mac or iPhone applications), you won't do any better than Xcode. If you don't want to start there, not only do you not need Xcode but you'll likely be better served by using an alternative development environment. For instance, if you decided to do Java development, something like Eclipse or Netbeans would be a much better tool than Xcode will be.

If you've never programmed before, you have quite a few options. You're also going to find that just about everyone who reads this and writes code in some capacity (myself included) will have differing opinions as to where you should start. I'd suggest, especially if you're new to coding, that you start with something like Python or Ruby (both are already included on your machine but will be slightly out of date). Some will say that you will have no problems starting with Objective-C. Perhaps the questions for you is: what are you looking to do? Are you looking just to get the basics or do you have a goal in mind? If you are just doing the basics, any language will do (some might be easier though). If you have a specific goal in mind, there may be a language and framework that would be a better choice than some other options.

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow man that was an excellent post, you seem extremely knowledgable and someone id like to stay in contact with, i dont want to be annoying in anyway just looking for a push in the right direction and you seem to be the person to ask! Well i do have a goal and id like to invest much time, research, and money to make a successful iphone application, i live in new york, date a Jets cheerleader, and invest more time into my mac, xbox, and the gym more than her! Haha but with the purchase of my new "27 inch sandybridge iMac came my obsession, and my vision to put as much time, effort and energy to build a solid app and make it a personal project that i could be proud of and try publishing when im finished with it. So what im asking from you my new friend is to give me the best programs to use for building a solid app, now you telling me i DONT need XCode is a breathe of fresh air and great news, id be brand new to coding and im willing to learn but i would like to avoid it if possible and still able to make as great of an app without xcode and instead with an easier interface and more user friendly- please if you can give me your favorite app development tools aside from xcode, where i can get them, and if i could build an app with them to the same extent as i would with xcode. Also VANSMITH if theres a way to have friends on this forum please send me a friend request id like to stay in contact with someone as knowledgable as you i appreciate your time and help!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, if you want to develop iPhone applications, you're going to have to use Xcode. As soon as you decide to develop native Mac or iPhone applications, you don't really have a choice.

I'd suggest picking up an iPhone development book. Having never really looked into iPhone development myself, I'll leave the floor open to others to make suggestions as to what book to get and where to go from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually you could try Use Appcelerator Titanium to build mobile apps for iPhone & Android and desktop apps for Windows, Mac OS X & Linux from Web technologies or Adobe has Packager which I think works with Flex etc. There are a couple others out there also that will allow you to create apps for iOS devices without actually learning Xcode. One reason why I like appcelerator is because I could develop using PHP and javascript, etc. Ah I just remembered the other one that I like: http://www.nimblekit.com/

OP
J
Reaction score
But are these other options free or do they charge monthly fees? Thanks for your help also murlyn- what were those applications like ruby and cocoa what platforms were they development for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Appcelerator is free and NimbleKit is $99. Im not sure what you are asking on your last question though, could you clarify for me?

OP
J
Reaction score
Im just trying to find the best app development tools for iphone and mac avoiding xcode if its possible - the member 2 comments above you was speaking on other options obe called ruby, one called cocoa, maybe im just misunderstanding but ill definitaly look into appcelerator

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ruby is a programming language and as far as I know, there is no way to use Ruby to develop iPhone applications. Cocoa is, to be simplistic, the set of libraries you use to design a user interface. I initially suggested not knowing you wanted to do iPhone development.

Thanks Murlyn - had forgotten about the "third party" options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok yeah I wasn't sure what he was asking about Ruby or Cocoa, but if it's asking what languages are supported in appcelerator then here is the list:

Javascript, HTML, and CSS, Python, Ruby, and PHP

OP
J
Reaction score
You guys have been great im gonna look at all the info you guys and try to find the best route for me to take if you guys think of any other options please keep me informed

OP
J
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have any youtube videos, or web pages on how and where to start with Appcelerator Titanium Developer?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.