Time Machine restore in new Macbook seamless

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading my Macbook Pro to a newer model. I have a Time Machine and can easily do a restore...I think.

So, is the transfer from a Time Machine backup problem-free? The few times I have done a restore to my old PC's there were always some quirks, documents missing, programs not running properly, etc. Curious to know if Apple has a great product with the Time Machine...which I have never had to actually use as of yet.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess one of these days I need to actually use TM to do a restore just for my own benefit. I use SD! for restores.

From everything I've read, you'll have no issue with your data.

I've read reports of all apps being transferred and working just fine, I've also heard reports of some apps needing to be reinstalled to work properly - my guess is that these would be only the ones that are packaged with their own installers and make system modifications when they're installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Always been seamless for me, but what I like to do is use time machine and carbon copy cloner.
Not only to keep current backups and a bootable backup, but if anything goes astray, I have a backup plan.
Say time machine leaves something that isn't restored properly, I can copy files from the cloned backup without a hitch.
Once again, I have never had a problem with restoring from time machine, other than the hidden private folder showing, which I have rehidden using a terminal command.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for 6string's advice. Using Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine for backing up can't be beat. And as he mentioned, it's seamless.

C

chas_m

I do a full restore from TM once a year or so for optimizing purposes and have never had an issue at all. Totally seamless.

(I also keep a "clone" style backup using CCC like chscag for redundancy and troubleshooting purposes, so far haven't ever *had* to restore from either one happily!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.