Beeeeep!!!!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
For some reason, my PowerBook makes this loud beep at random times. Im not sure why... can anyone help me out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
pushing too many keys at the same time?

or maybe.. uummmm it doesn't like you?

sKaD

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
my powerbook?! it dont like me!? :(

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just bought it a new mouse to play with!
sereously... why is my pb beeping!?

F

Fomer

Mac dude said:
i just bought it a new mouse to play with!
sereously... why is my pb beeping!?

Well when does it beep? All the time, when you load a certain program? When your typing? Randomly? When your surfing the USA...net?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fomer said:
Well when does it beep? All the time, when you load a certain program? When your typing? Randomly? When your surfing the USA...net?
Mac dude said:
For some reason, my PowerBook makes this loud beep at random times. Im not sure why... can anyone help me out?
moo meow why wont my post send...

F

Fomer

hmm... That's odd... I use to have that problem on my dell and I found out why one day but I can't remember now. :confused: I think it's when you get to close to the airvent or something but that was on my dell. Maybe your wrist is pushing down to hard on the wrist holders I am not sure but I bet its something like that. :confused: Sorry I can't be more help.

S

shanx

are you sure t is random cos that means the sound file has a mind of its own! Maybe some timer application is on sound alert.

F

Fomer

shanx said:
are you sure t is random cos that means the sound file has a mind of its own! Maybe some timer application is on sound alert.

If its the beep im thinking it is it doesnt come out of the speakers. On my dell I didnt have speakers for awhile and I still heard it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
if it's a beeping sound that isn't very loud and is random and if it's not coming from the speakers then i'm guessing it's just the hard drive. my powerbook makes a high pitched faint beep/squeaking sound, that's just the hard drive spinning really fast sometimes. don't worry about it.

M

mecano

I got the same problem on a 17" powerBook.

So I'll assume it's only the HD... But it used to happen less frequently before, weird.

---
pEp.

S

StarManta

mecano said:
I got the same problem on a 17" powerBook.

So I'll assume it's only the HD... But it used to happen less frequently before, weird.

---
pEp.

That would make sense.... as you install more program and the HD becomes more fragmented it's likely to start having to work harder....
Try defragging. I think Disk Utility does that? Maybe?
*shrug*

D

danparker

head

I have a 17" Powerbook. On the Apple Support page they attend to this question somewhat. I checked it out today and from my reading I concluded that it is when the HD heads settle. The sound is in fact from the HD. I too experience that sound from time to time.

S

sonnylee

When you go into power settings, if processor is set to maximum, the beeps can much louder. Make sure your computer is set on automatic to minimize the volume. The body may be small, but the heart of this powerbook baby wants to come out and play! Just think of it as asking for attention. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.