Can I do it?

Reaction score
My G5 died but the HD is still good. Can I upgrade it to OS X Leopard? I'd like to use my programs on an iMac. I'd like to connect it to the iMac and use carbon copy cloner to put the files/ programs on the iMac.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

C

chas_m

You'll have to tell us a least a LITTLE something about this iMac before we can answer the question, sorry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My G5 died but the HD is still good. Can I upgrade it to OS X Leopard? I'd like to use my programs on an iMac. I'd like to connect it to the iMac and use carbon copy cloner to put the files/ programs on the iMac.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

We need to prioritize things...if the computer isn't working...not much point discussing an OS upgrade.!;) First things first...let's get the computer working...then talk about the OS.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I had to down size my operations and I cannot get another G5/ Power Mac.. The HD had the latest OS that it could support. I want to get an Intel based iMac and don't want to go threw reinstalling everything. I just want to know if o can upgrade the HD to Snow Leopard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Provided you install the HDD in an Intel Mac it can certainly be upgraded to Snow Leopard.

C

chas_m

If you're buying an Intel Mac, it will already come with Snow Leopard pre-installed (whether you buy new or refurbished).

As for your software, you can probably transfer most of it without issue *if you've kept up-to-date on updates.* Otherwise, expect to spend a fair bit updating/upgrading.

OP
C
Reaction score
All I lost was my Final Cut Pro serial numbers. So the entire suite of programs need the master serial number. All the Adobe programs work normally, go figure. If I'd I knew where they were on the G5 HD i would just copy them over. I guess it's in a plist or something.

Any thoughts on this?

Rant:
After I get this project done I'm through with all this computer crap. I feel like THX-1138. A ll I do is buy, consume and upgrade just to support the central banks and their fractional monetary system. I want out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You need the serial numbers to reinstall the software or you're out of luck.

OP
C
Reaction score
It's installed but needs activated. I'll try about this application on the working version.
This mess started because my idiot neighbor burnt his own house down. The firemen saved my house but water damage is a muther. I'll never find my install info after that mess.
Thanks all!

C

chas_m

Sorry to hear about your house. Hopefully your insurance company will compensate you sufficiently that you can recover.

As for your license info, I've generally found both Adobe and Apple to be quite helpful in this regard, it's worth giving them a call.

As for the endless cycles of upgrades, yes sometimes it pays to just "unplug" from the constant stream of news about imminent upgrades. I've had a personal policy of skipping every other Adobe CS upgrade because I don't upgrade my computer often enough to justify it. CS3 still works GREAT on my BlackBook and I'm sure CS5.5 will be a swell jump when I get my next computer. In the interim, by not upgrading to CS4 or CS5 (which wouldn't have worked as well on my older MacBook anyway), I saved myself at least $500.

I also tend to judge carefully whether to jump on the latest OS release or not. Snow Leopard worked out GREAT for this older machine, but the graphics system on it is such that if I still have it when Lion comes out, it might not be the best move (much as I would enjoy Lion). Might be best to just put off that upgrade until I buy the new machine (which will have it anyway).

It's sort of a process of learning to judge when the upgrades outstrip your machine's ability to take advantage of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.