• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stargate Universe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 7.1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram, 250GB HDD, Nvidia 320 graphics, Mac OSX 10.6.8
So I'm getting ready to see the series finale of Stargate Universe a second time and I just can't believe that the SyFy network would just cancel such a great show.

Wondering what are the people thoughts about the SyFy channel getting rid of its science fiction shows for more reality shows.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I'm getting ready to see the series finale of Stargate Universe a second time and I just can't believe that the SyFy network would just cancel such a great show.

Well...it all depends if you think Stargate Universe is a good/great show!;) My wife & I were pretty big fans of Stargate the series, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica...but we could never get into Stargate Universe. I think that we "suffered" thru 2 or 3 episodes before we gave up!:(

Wondering what are the people thoughts about the SyFy channel getting rid of its science fiction shows for more reality shows.

Definitely a dumb idea. The SyFy channel is for Sci-Fi shows...there are already are too many "Reality TV" shows on other channels. And PLEASE..."Ghost Hunters" totally stinks!!! Same with that other lame SyFy show with the "Werewolf, Vampire, and Ghost" (was there a "Zombie" in there too!;))...think it's called "Being Human"

And god I hate that other SyFy show "Sanctuary" with Amanda Tapping (the lead female from Stargate ) with her lame "British" accent. My wife likes it...I hate it!!!:( So I make fun of it the whole time she's watching it...(from a nearby room while I'm on Mac-Forums)!;)

The SyFy channel has really gone downhill ever since they cancelled MST 3000!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The finale of SGU was anything but final. No closure, so maybe we'll get a made for SciFi movie in the Fall? It was a bit gritty and dark for me anyhow. None of the fun, humor or action of SG1. Besides Sanctuary and some BBC imports, all SyFy shows is reruns of SciFi.

Anyhow, SyFy (formerly SciFi) seems to have gone the way of many of the other cable channels. This un-"reality TV" bites big time. Remember when TLC was the learning channel? Now TLC has Cake Boss and Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta while SyFy likes to show wrestling or whatever they call that soap opera.

I'm not sure what the attraction is to reality TV. My hypothesis is that people like to see extreme or unusual things happening to other people as reassurance that whatever they feel victimized about is OK. Pretty sad really, though it does make canceling cable/dish all the easier. At least COPS was real stuff caught on tape rather than contrived situations like Bachelor, Millionaire or Survivor.

OP
usernamekite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 7.1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram, 250GB HDD, Nvidia 320 graphics, Mac OSX 10.6.8
And god I hate that other SyFy show "Sanctuary" with Amanda Tapping (the lead female from Stargate ) with her lame "British" accent. My wife likes it...I hate it!!!:( So I make fun of it the whole time she's watching it...(from a nearby room while I'm on Mac-Forums)!;)

Haha I have seen "Sanctuary" and god I have to agree with you. Love Amanda Tapping but this show just doesn't do her justice. She will always be Col. Carter to me :D

Right now the only shows left worth watching to me is "Warehouse 13" and "Eureka". Once these shows go then there will be no reason to watch SyFY.

I do miss the ol days of Scifi

OP
usernamekite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The finale of SGU was anything but final. No closure, so maybe we'll get a made for SciFi movie in the Fall?

I think a lot of us are hoping for a movie to really give SGU the finale it deserves. It worked with SG-1 with finishing off the Ori and the last of the System Lords (Ba'al in particular).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Forgot about Eureka. Love that show. Light, funny, interesting and good characters. +1

OP
usernamekite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eureka Season 4.5 coming in July 11, 2011 ~_^

Now with SGU gone its time to watch SG-1, SGA, and the SGU all in order. Think I may start that tonight!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Agree about SGU. I eventually started liking it, but I had to force myself through the first several episodes to keep with it. That's what eventually killed the ratings I think, took way too long to get into the story and started way too slowly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eureka Season 4.5 coming in July 11, 2011 ~_^

Now with SGU gone its time to watch SG-1, SGA, and the SGU all in order. Think I may start that tonight!

Well you will certainly have plenty of material to watch...SG1 had quite a few seasons!!!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree about SGU. I eventually started liking it, but I had to force myself through the first several episodes to keep with it. That's what eventually killed the ratings I think, took way too long to get into the story and started way too slowly.

Yes...I bet that if I had stuck with it long enough...I probably would have gotten into it as well. At least enough to "DVR" it...then fast-forward thru the lamer parts.

I think that there were two things that bugged me about SGU:

1. Too much internal conflict (too much drama). Let's have problems with the "bad guys/aliens" vs. with each other. Too much like a Sci-Fi soap opera!;)

2. Too many of the "Don't open the door!" moments just to keep the story line moving forward. If you know that a "bad guy" is on the other side of the door, or that you shouldn't beam down to a hostile planet...don't do it!;)

This of course was from my very limited experience with SGU (before I gave up)...maybe things improved...maybe!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
SG1 was the best of those IMO.

OP
usernamekite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya know at first I was one of those people who really thought SGU was not going to satisfy my gate taste. I do remember watching the first episode and having mix feelings, it was great to see The General Hammond fight off the Lucian Alliance. The CG was and is impressive. Gave it almost a BSG feel. I sat through it and felt the 1st season was ok, but once the 2 season hit it was actually improving down to the final episodes. In the end I think SGU has some great potential.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.