• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut express vs adobe premiere element

Reaction score
Has anybody had experience with both of the movie sfot3ware lsited above? If so, please provide your feedback on which you like better and why. I would be using the software to edit video from a Canon camcorder of family and stuff. Nothing professional so curious to know which, if either, is better suited for me application.

C

chas_m

Is there some particular reason you've crossed iMovie off the list? Have you seen the 2011 version?

OP
H
Reaction score
I have seent he 2011 version of imovie but it's my understanding that fce is more of a comparable to adobe as it has more editing features. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought imovie was pretty basic in it's editing capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I don't use either...but have compared them in the past..FCE is more dynamic, robust than Premier...also supports 3rd party plug-ins...I would actually be comparing PE 9 to iMovie 11.

OP
H
Reaction score
From what I've seen while messing around with iMovie 11 at the stores, it seems like a basic video editing software with not much bells and whistles. I can't say that I've seen any Apple store have FCE installed to mess around with but then again I haven't really been focused on FCE since I was trying to mess around with iMovie 11. Maybe sometime this weekend, I'll try to check out FCE if they're installed.

I really wish the Apple stores would have iMovie, FCE, and Adobe Premiere Element 9 installed so we could do a side by side comparison but I know that Apple would not install 3rd party sfotware.

OP
H
Reaction score
I don't use either...but have compared them in the past..FCE is more dynamic, robust than Premier...also supports 3rd party plug-ins...I would actually be comparing PE 9 to iMovie 11.

Interesting that you say that you'd actually be comparing PE9 to iMovie 11. Would be safe to assume then that PE 9 and iMovie 11 have the same editing abilities? i.e. basic whereas FCE has more advanced editing abilities but not up to FCP levels?

I'm thinking about buying Adobe Photoshop this weekend and Adobe offers a bundle with Premiere Elements so I've been going back and forth on getting the bundle or not.

I also heard that FCX may be coming out soon so maybe I'll wait for that.

Reaction score
I have both iMove and Premier Elements ( it was free). I prefer the way iMovie works to Premier. But that is a personal preference.

If you are looking to FC X then it will look a lot more like iMove. A number of the features that had the audience enthusing over in FC X are already in iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
The only thing FCP X and iMovie will have in common are a similiar looking interface... FCP X will still be extremely powerful and sophisticated...according to the demos I have seen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.