Task Manager equivalent on Mac?

Reaction score
When an application crashes on Windows, it's normally pretty simple to Ctrl-Shift-Esc, bring up the Task Manager and kill off the offending process. Is there a similar thing for OSX? Whenever Safari, iTunes etc crashes and locks the machine up, I'd like to be able to kill off just that process. What's the equivalent thing on Mac?

I understand you can ctrl-alt-click the Dock icon to force quit, but when the Dock won't pop up, the only thing I can do is hard power off the machine.

Admittedly, it does crash infrequently, but having to hard power off just because of one application crashing is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance. There's probably a silly simple answer to this question but I can't find it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder is the closest you'll get to Task Manager. But if you just need to kill one app, Cmd+Opt+Esc will bring up the Force Quit window so you can kill an app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I keep the activity monitor in the dock, just in case :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks - I didn't know about the cmd-option-esc shortcut. Looks like the thing I'm after!

Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder is the closest you'll get to Task Manager. But if you just need to kill one app, Cmd+Opt+Esc will bring up the Force Quit window so you can kill an app.
Unfortunately when an application in OSX crashes, it seems to lock up the machine completely so I can't open the Applications/Utilities menu from the dock, or anywhere.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is very rare. I never have an application crash lock the whole machine. Just ever once in a while like maybe a year or so and I run a lot of apps at the same time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Safari doesn't like pages with lots of large images...it'll happily bring the machine to a standstill. iTunes is on the whole pretty decent IMO, but every so often it'll lock up while trying to play certain lossless m4a files for some reason. Ripping them from the disc again seems to solve it.

Pretty sure it's a 'feature' of OSX as I'm already on my 2nd hard drive and I've reinstalled a couple times to solve various niggling software problems.

C

chas_m

There's no such thing as a lossless m4a file, not sure what you were going for there.

And yes, what dtravis7 said -- something's up with your setup, because freezes that lock up the whole machine just aren't supposed to be happening. I browse photography websites all the time with Safari (like Flickr, etc), large images never an issue.

Maybe you have a RAM issue there (as in "not enough of") or perhaps you're playing too close to the edge with a full hard drive. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the kind of inelegant problems you describe.

OP
M
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a lossless m4a file, not sure what you were going for there.

And yes, what dtravis7 said -- something's up with your setup, because freezes that lock up the whole machine just aren't supposed to be happening. I browse photography websites all the time with Safari (like Flickr, etc), large images never an issue.

Maybe you have a RAM issue there (as in "not enough of") or perhaps you're playing too close to the edge with a full hard drive. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the kind of inelegant problems you describe.
Sorry, there is such thing as a lossless M4A - I have 120gb of them. ;D

Wikipedia said:
Apple Lossless data is stored within an MP4 container with the filename extension .m4a
Apple Lossless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
iTunes can't elegantly handle FLAC, so I convert to lossless audio in M4A container instead.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. It's generally very stable, but Safari has its moments. I've got 2gb of RAM and there's 30gb spare on the hard drive, so no risk or running out of pagefile there. It's had software problems in the past, mainly the "application Finder cannot be opened", followed by the spinning beachball of death. Reinstalling seems to have solved that though. Previous to that, I was having all sorts of strange file management issues...Quick Look crashing and constant freezing, which turned out to be a dying hard drive. With a shiny new hard drive, all seems to be good...most of the time!

There's no sign of repeating errors being thrown up in the Console, and Safari only seems to stumble on certain pages, mainly forum posts with lots of hi-res embedded photos. Another thing iTunes doesn't seem to like is if I edit the album art on more than about 50 songs...I just thought it's 'one of those things', so to speak!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Ah, and I've tried swapping out the RAM too, but that hasn't made a difference.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are correct on the Apple Lossless. It's extension is m4a.

OSX is VERY stable. I never have Safari freeze the whole machine. Not once I can remember in fact. If that is happening there, something is not right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Safari doesn't like pages with lots of large images...it'll happily bring the machine to a standstill.

Safari has memory problems and will gladly eat up all available RAM. Odds are if you increase your RAM this problem will be less of an issue.

C

chas_m

I stand corrected on Apple Lossless' extension, thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of course of MPEG4 audio which is as you know a lossy format.

As for the Safari issue, could it be that you're not ever quitting Safari? That also would cause the issue you're describing. As you probably know, clicking the red "close" button doesn't quit Safari (or most Mac applications, though Apple is a bit inconsistent on this).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Another way is to click on the Apple logo in the toolbar and view the list in Force Quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
or.... right click on the icon in the Dock and select Force Quit

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
An old topic that has been resurfaced by a spammer (which is now gone)..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.