Multiple Bluetooth Headsets Audio Chat

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for a way to effectively have communication between multiple bluetooth headsets within a short range, preferably with one computer.

I want to use it in a recording studio when setting up, to communicate between team members to the other side of the soundproof glass. Normally we'd set up a mic and headphones for a talkback system but I thought it would be so much easier if we all just had a bluetooth headset on connected to each other.

The best way I've thought of so far is using two MBP on a computer-to-computer wifi network, with iChat using bonjour. Then each computer could set up a bluetooth headset and we're away.

However, to add more headsets I assume more computers would be needed to join the network, one per headset. What I'm looking for is a way, if possible, for more to intercommunicate - and if possible from one computer that's even better!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi

I'm looking for a way to effectively have communication between multiple bluetooth headsets within a short range, preferably with one computer.

I want to use it in a recording studio when setting up, to communicate between team members to the other side of the soundproof glass. Normally we'd set up a mic and headphones for a talkback system but I thought it would be so much easier if we all just had a bluetooth headset on connected to each other.

The best way I've thought of so far is using two MBP on a computer-to-computer wifi network, with iChat using bonjour. Then each computer could set up a bluetooth headset and we're away.

However, to add more headsets I assume more computers would be needed to join the network, one per headset. What I'm looking for is a way, if possible, for more to intercommunicate - and if possible from one computer that's even better!

Cheers

To my knowledge (and I've Googled extensively to be sure), there is no way to do this. There is a more recent enhancement to Bluetooth called Multipoint that lets you pair a compatible headset with multiple devices and use them all simultaneously, but that's the exact opposite of what you need to do.

Rather than having a full blown computer for each person, I think a more practical solution here would be the iPod touch. There are a variety of group chat apps and options available to help facilitate your needs. Downside of course is the expense of an iPod touch for each person, but it'd be far more effective than having a room full of laptops. Of course an iPhone would work just as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
To my knowledge (and I've Googled extensively to be sure), there is no way to do this. There is a more recent enhancement to Bluetooth called Multipoint that lets you pair a compatible headset with multiple devices and use them all simultaneously, but that's the exact opposite of what you need to do.

Rather than having a full blown computer for each person, I think a more practical solution here would be the iPod touch. There are a variety of group chat apps and options available to help facilitate your needs. Downside of course is the expense of an iPod touch for each person, but it'd be far more effective than having a room full of laptops. Of course an iPhone would work just as well.

Hi. Thanks for answering... I thought about that, because we have iPhone's already anyway. Only thing it I thought since usually bluetooth is used to connect devices for connection I assumed the headset would not also be able to be connected simultaneously. Also my iPhone is only 3G so I'm not sure it could cope with so much bluetooth audio streaming (to/from other iPhone and to/from headset).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.