• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

More fake software targeting Macs...

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think people are having fun with this. I actually was doing an image search yesterday - and 3 images I clicked on - pulled the same stunt. Annoying. The great thing about this forum is - I usually learn something every day - and the day before yesterday - I learned why the .dmg files downloaded in Safari always mount automatically (from this thread/post). I disabled that - and just in the nick of time - since those images (from Google image search) - as soon as I clicked - the .dmg downloaded. This happened on 3 different images within a span of 5 minutes. :Angry:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Took a lot of work, but eventually I was able to get the same pop-up. I had to do some pretty specific searching though (actually followed Sophos to the letter).

As expected, Firefox warned before downloading the file. But what was really surprising was that the "Cancel" button in the js window that popped up actually functioned! Usually they don't give you that option - at least in the Windows variants I've seen.

The sad thing is, it looks polished enough to fool the average (paranoid) user. And how, as a tech, can you really train those users to be suspicious of these things? I mean, there's really no tell-tale sign that one of these is fake. If they're running a legit AV product, it could potentially pop up and say there malware present on the system. So, how does one distinguish between what is real and what is fake? I mean, I have a highly-tuned BS-o-meter, but the average person isn't going to know the difference.

Still, I'm not so sure I would recommend an AV product, even with the existence of this kind of extortionware (now on the Mac). I highly doubt any of the packages would have prevented a zero-day infection. I'm sure they could have removed it easily enough, but it's not like they provide even an ounce of prevention.

Reaction score
I've seen the masquerading of Windows Explorer before (Mom happens upon it when searching for frog pictures), but it should be plainly obvious in either OS. If you're using Firefox, Safari, Chrome or Opera in Windows and you see the "fake" in your internet browser, close the browser and clear cookies and cache.

I mean think about it, if you're using Safari in Mac OS X and you see the fake Finder show up (and it looks nothing like what you have it set up as), it should be painstakingly obvious that what you are seeing is indeed fake.

And yet, I find it sad that people quickly become fooled.

I wonder if searching using Bing! makes an difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
Lately I use bing much more than google to do my searching..

But doesn't that pretty much just take u to the same links?

Reaction score
Lately I use bing much more than google to do my searching..

But doesn't that pretty much just take u to the same links?

The malicious websites and the latest "Mac Defender" hype stems mainly from Google thanks to "poisoning of Google search suggestions".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I never use google images for this reason and I barley ever go to sites that I do not know and if I do I scan it first with the link extend ad on for firefox.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
): Firefox is no longer supported on old PowerBooks. ):

What OSX is on your powerbook? If Tiger or Leopard, try TenFourFox. It's the latest Firefox builds ported over to Power PC! Since Safari on those older OSX version is getting outdated, to me that is the best option I have found!

TenFourFox!

Reaction score
Perhaps because of my old Windows habits, I've had Sophos installed since I moved over to Mac. One can never be to careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here's how I deal with this stuff. I use my Mac, and only allow downloads that I know I am wanting to download. If anything wants to download at a time where I hadn't anticipated a download, I cancel/stop/exit out of Safari/Firefox. It's not really that hard, but I think paranoia gets to some people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
As a rule of thumb .... if you did not specifically went looking for it, don't install it.

And do not trust any of the buttons but force quit the application ( installer )

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The great thing about this forum is - I usually learn something every day - and the day before yesterday - I learned why the .dmg files downloaded in Safari always mount automatically (from this thread/post).
I still don't know why this is a "feature" and isn't classified as what it really is - a gaping security hole.

I've seen the masquerading of Windows Explorer before (Mom happens upon it when searching for frog pictures), but it should be plainly obvious in either OS. If you're using Firefox, Safari, Chrome or Opera in Windows and you see the "fake" in your internet browser, close the browser and clear cookies and cache.

I mean think about it, if you're using Safari in Mac OS X and you see the fake Finder show up (and it looks nothing like what you have it set up as), it should be painstakingly obvious that what you are seeing is indeed fake.

And yet, I find it sad that people quickly become fooled.

I wonder if searching using Bing! makes an difference.
You have to remember that not everyone has the same level of acumen (Macumen?) with regards to computers that many of us do. IT work has made me appreciate that some people really don't use a computer as anything more than a tool which likely means they don't understand the nuances of software visuals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.