New MBP launches Skype against my wishes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Got the new 15" inch but every time I switch it on it opens Skype automatically.

I have looked under the Skype preferences and can't see anything related.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Check start your startup items to see if Skype is listed. If it is, then take it out.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Thanks, could you give me directions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items Tab. Highlight the item, and press the small minus button at the bottom of the dialog to remove it.

C

chas_m

Much MUCH more likely, you accidentally checked "Open at Login" when selecting it from the Dock once.

While Skype is open, click and hold on the icon in the dock. If the "Open at Login" has a check mark next to it, select it again. Problem solved.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Thankyou chscag and yes chas I think you're right. Oddly enough only iTunes was ticked in 'open at login' yet that didn't open up.

I un-ticked all and did the padlock thing, fingers crossed.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
It doesn't work, all my auto log in activations are switched off.

I have reinstalled Skype but it still activates when I switch on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Much MUCH more likely, you accidentally checked "Open at Login" when selecting it from the Dock once.

While Skype is open, click and hold on the icon in the dock. If the "Open at Login" has a check mark next to it, select it again. Problem solved.

This is the same thing as the Start-up items list in your system prefs, just an easier/quicker way to enable/disable.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"

How did I miss that, you were right!

I also have a trackpad issue... Despite disabling most of the settings in System Preferences, if the arrow/hand hovers over a button for more than a couple of seconds my MacBook decides to press it for me. Occasionally it will also pick up and drag stuff without asking my permission.

Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.