hard disk full - i don't think so but

Reaction score
Hi All

Mac G5 OSX10,5,3 error message "start disk is nearly full etc"

I've trashed stuff helps a little

I've run Yasu, omnidisk sweeper etc they tell me I've used about 50Gigs

My computer says I've used 295Gigs out 297G

So where are the other 245 gigs?

If you can give me a clue that would be cool and clever!:)

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've trashed stuff helps a little

Yes you "trashed stuff"...but did you actually empty the trash can? Don't laugh...it's happened before!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have a lot of items stored on your desktop?

- Nick

Reaction score
I recommend downloading Diskwave and having a look around your mac to see if you've got some unnecessary or duplicate files.

If you have a large movie collection you can maybe compress them with Keka so they take up less space.

OP
G
Reaction score
will clean desktop and try Diskwave but I assume its similar to yasu etc

Thanks

OP
G
Reaction score
So....

Desktop clean , tried Diskwave still finding 50 gigs of files computer says 292gigs used .

ERRRRRRRMM

Any more ideas?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I use GrandPerspective. It gives a pretty good graphical view of all your files, relative file sizes, and location. You might find that you have a log file gone crazy, or you might have your backups going to your main drive, or any number of things. Nice thing about GP, the larger the block, the larger the file size, so it's real easy to see where everything is going. Also, if you've turned on FileVault, it will continually grow in size to hold all your data, but doesn't ever shrink back if the data is deleted. There are ways to disable it if you are out of drive space, but they do take some planning.

OP
G
Reaction score
Grand perspectve is really cool!
But its found the 50Gigs I know about"scanned files" ,and 243gigs of "miscellaneous used space"
no indication of what the 243gigs are and they are not on the chart what are they?where are they ? why are they?

A bit like the basic question of life "what shall we eat,where shall we it it, why don't we eat elsewhere. :)

still need HELP

OP
G
Reaction score
Now Grand perpsective is showing me the Miscellaneous area on the disk but with indication of what it is????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Is there another user on your computer? Since it doesn't tell you what the block is, it might be locked so you can't read it.

OP
G
Reaction score
No Its a home computer so its just us, there's only one user listed on the disk when
I open the users folder.

OP
G
Reaction score
there is another user called "guest account" "sharing only" I can"t access this
I guess this could be something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Do you run Windows via a VM at all ??

I like and bought DaisyDisk since its now gone to a paid App. I believe you can still scan, but you cant use the Drag and drop feature to delete unwanted crap. All you need to do then is find the file that is HUGE and find it using finder and then drag it to the trash.
Its the best App by far a have used Windows or Mac that finds and looks at your HD. It does a lot more but as i said its a paid App . . .

Cheers

C

chas_m

Try this:

1. See that "Go" menu in the menubar when you're in Finder? Choose "Go to folder."
2. Type in this exactly: /Volumes
3. What SHOULD be in there is an alias that has the same name as your boot drive, and an alias for any connected drives you have currently mounted. NOTHING ELSE.
4. If there is something else, write it down and tell us what it is. Don't trash it, don't move it, don't do anything to it until you tell us what it is and we can advise from there.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi
Only one drive showing, the principle one "mac HD" and thats all.
MMMMMmmmmm

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Open up terminal and copy and past this in 'df -h' without the ' and press enter. Take a screen shot and post it up.
This command will show us disk usage.

OP
G
Reaction score
When I open terminal a window opens with this inside

login: PAM error (line400): system error
(process completed)

it doesn't seem to want to let me do anything else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
When I open terminal a window opens with this inside

login: PAM error (line400): system error
(process completed)

it doesn't seem to want to let me do anything else
Password and Account Manager not working? There's more to this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.