So Im Overwhelmed... Windows to Mac.

Reaction score
Some background. Id say operate Windows extremely well. Ive been on that platform for years, so Im pretty comfortable with working with it on a daily basis. But for the last couple of years, I've had the incredible urge to get a MacBook Pro. Finally got some extra money, went out this past Friday and purchased the newest MacBook Pro ($1799 model).
So far, love the hardware, how things feel, and of course how things look. I consider myself to be pretty smart when it comes to technology and operating, but Im finding myself getting discouraged lately with operating everything. Learning the new GUI, using Finder (as opposed to Windows explorer), Expose, getting used to the right clicking (2fingers) tap on trackpad. I got pretty annoyed tonight when I couldnt find a way to tile my windows (automatically align the windows side by side so I could compare 2 documents, or a webpage and a document), holding FN down to delete/backspace when needed. Ive done a few of the tutorials on the Apple support site. I've thought about going back to Best Buy to see what the latest and greatest Windows 7 laptop I could get for the price, and exchange my MBP. But Im curious to know if anyone else transitioning over felt the same way, and what resources you found really resourceful. Thinking about attending one of those classes that the Apple store put on to try and help me out. Sorry to vent out right away on my first post, but figured Id try and voice it to a community such as this one to see what everyones thoughts would be. Hoping to stick this out and get proficient with it... know its just gonna take a bit of time. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Classes and tutorials will help but just exploring it on your own will help retain it faster or
at least it was for me and since I have to use both I find it quicker and easier now in OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
While all these resources are great, the best advice is to let go of your Windows mindset and give yourself some time. This is a totally different operating system, and while some things are similar across all platforms, there are some things that are very different. But different does not mean harder. In fact, most times Windows users OVERcomplicate things out of habit that are much easier to do on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I would say you need to give it some time to learn the new aspects of the Mac, probably most people expect that it's almost the same thing as Windows. But it's not.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Most of that frustration comes from making Mac OSX into Windows, which it is not.

Need to keep an open mind and take off the Windows hat. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
As someone who has been a network engineer running primarily on Windows machines for the better part of 15 years, the hardest part for me to get used to was not having page up, page down, end and home keys. It still catches me.

I would not recommend returning the MBP. Even an advanced user will require time to learn a whole new OS, no matter how easy it should be to use. There is unlearning and relearning that has to take place, and once you get used to it, you will wonder how you did things the other way.

Interesting insight: I have noticed myself trying to 2-finger rt. click on my work laptop as well as 2-finger scroll... That is getting annoying, to say the least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
Also, see Switching to the Mac, an excellent book specifically aimed at people who were comfortable with Windows.

I was in the same boat as you when I bought my new iMac a couple months ago, I had played around with the iMac at Best Buy and at the Apple store but when I finally pulled the trigger at the Apple store and got it home I felt overwhelmed to say the least. However like stated here I just started exploring with the computer and asking questions here, and purchased the Switching to the Mac at Books a Million and began to read up on some things, then common tasks become pretty simple, but I have a long way to go. I was like you for the first couple of weeks, I was tempted to return it back to the Apple store and get a high end PC but now I am so glad that I did not do that, all I can say is that I love my Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
While all these resources are great, the best advice is to let go of your Windows mindset and give yourself some time. This is a totally different operating system, and while some things are similar across all platforms, there are some things that are very different. But different does not mean harder. In fact, most times Windows users OVERcomplicate things out of habit that are much easier to do on a Mac.

So totally agree -- and this is excellent advice. I've always used Windows systems and know the DOS/Windows OS very well. I got my MBP about six weeks ago, and despite the initial slow pace with which I worked, I've picked up habits now on the Mac that I keep trying to transfer over to Windows (I teach media and web design on Windows at the high school level -- and I use the Mac-equivalent software at home, so I am comparing). I have no regrets that I have a Mac at home. None. I find now that I can work much faster, the way I work is much more streamlined, and it's more, well, logical and less complex.

Patience is a virtue in this case. You need to have an open mind, understand that things are slightly different than you were used to, but that it will truly be worth the wait. It didn't take me long to wonder why I waited so long to switch. I keep thinking: "Wow -- this is how it was supposed to be."

M

MacInWin

One more chime in on the "give it time" recommendation. I switched two years ago. It was hard at first because I still have to use Windows at work, and I kept trying to do things the Windows way. For the first few months, my perception was that Windows was the "right" way and OSX was the "other" way. But one day it just flipped. I found myself frustrated at work because something I wanted to do that is easy on the Mac was really hard to do on Windows. That was the day I knew I had finally "gotten" it. It's like learning a foreign language, eventually you realize you can think in that language and know that now you really KNOW it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Get Cinch to help you view windows side by side. Like some have stated, you are deep into the particular of Windows and its ways of doing things. Time to 'let go' and find the OS equivalent of achieving the same end. You will find that in some cases it may not be better than Window, just different.

After about 2 years after the switch, I have found Expose and Spaces to be rival of anything Windows have to offer in terms of windows management with ease. And the added ability to enable Expose and Spaces by moving trackpad pointer to each corner of the screen is fantastic way to management multiple workload.

Up until the last couple of years, I have been a Window PC user. Perhaps I wasn't so much attached to it because it took me about 2-3 weeks to be comfortable with the OS ways. Now, if I have a Windows notebook in front of me, I start to swipe the trackpad like it's an Apple. Moving the pointer to the corner, expecting all of my windows to show up.

Reaction score
Well think about this: Windows has went through some big changes over the years. Dos, Windows, Millenium, XP, Vista, Windows 7. All of these changes were so different that you had to re-learn how to use the system. There probably was some frustration trying to figure out how to do the things you were used to doing.

With the Mac you are sort of in the same boat whereas you are learning how to do things in a totally different way. I don't think I'm into my new MBP a week yet but I am starting to get along just fine. Yes I was a little frustrated because I wanted to do things the windows way. But if I could do it the windows way I wouldn't be on a Mac. These are two different operating systems no different than any other manufacturer.

Have you ever bought a piece of electronic equipment like a DVD player, or stereo system and found that it worked nothing like the last one you had? Well the only alternative you had was to read the instructions and figure out how to do the things on the new equipment like you did on the old equipment. Same thing here on the Mac.

I would say don't give up so soon. Grab some of those books that were referenced here. Go to youtube and see if you can find some videos that show you around. I also got a subscription to MacWorld and got some superguides that offer a lot of help. And most of all just hang around here and read some threads. I have already found some gems in here that have made things a lot easier.

Oh and one other thing I'd like to say. On my PC, I absolutely hated using the built in mouse pad. I always had a mouse, so I can't believe that I haven't even thought about a getting a mouse for my MBP. For me that it in itself was a great accomplishment. So don't give up yet because soon you will be amazed as to the power you have in your hands. Good Luck!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Never had much trouble at all with any changes between say Windows 95 up to XP. Some differences but nothing major. It was Vista that had me scratching my head trying to find network settings and many other things till I got used to it.

For some reason I never had that issue with OSX. Started with 10.2 and it was very natural for me. Everyone is different though

OP
C
Reaction score
Appreciate all the responses and encouragement. Got the program SizeUp for managing on-screen windows. Going to check out more on Expose and Spaces, and get that book Switching to MAC. Totally agree, been used to doing things with Windows in a certain way for years, hard to unlearn those "bad habits." Scheduled one of those workshops at the Apple store for later next week, give me some more insight into everything. Guess you could say last night I was having a temper tantrum of frustration lol. Again, appreciate the encouragement and helpful advice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If we can help in any way, just ask! Hang in there. It will get easier as you get used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.