Crazy pop-up: Help me understand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
Last night I was on google looking up vacation places, I was checking out Clearwater, Fla. and all the choices came up on the google page so when I clicked on images here is when the scary thing happened. A window other than what should have came up and started running a Windows virus scan! It started saying virus detected but the crazy thing was that it said windows was performing a scan and I don't even have windows! As this was going on a smaller window came up with the Safari icon in it and asked if it was ok for if windows run a scan. So I had no other way to get if off except to click ok then close out the window that was running a so called scan. I had this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach thinking I had been hit with some kind of virus but everything seems to be working normal. I went into the security and turned the firewall on that came with the iMac. Has anyone ever seen this before, or was this just kind of fluke? Any advice or answers would be appreciated as I am still very,very new to the Mac world. I have seen pc get destroyed like this and that's one of the reasons I switched, I really love my iMac! Thanks in advance.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ignore it. It was a typical Windows Virus scare tactic to get you to buy some AV or anti malware software. A Windows virus can not infect your Mac nor do it any harm. If you were running Windows and even if your PC was clean, it would still say that you were infected and to download their software to clean the infection.

Also, please our official Virus Sticky at the head of this forum: LINK

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ignore it. It was a typical Windows Virus scare tactic to get you to buy some AV or anti malware software. A Windows virus can not infect your Mac nor do it any harm. If you were running Windows and even if your PC was clean, it would still say that you were infected and to download their software to clean the infection.

Thanks so much, I thought that it may have been something like that. So do I need to leave the firewall turned on or not?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're behind a router, you can leave the firewall off. Of course if you're using wireless, be sure to employ the best encryption method which currently is WPA2.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if you have a hardware router/modem, on a private network, there is no need, but you can if you want.

edit, chscag beat me to it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I asking all the silly questions (LOL) is there any need for something like Mac Keeper or anything else like that, I'm still trying to figure it all out.:Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do a forum search on MacKeeper. You'll be surprised at what you find out about it.... :) It's pure junk-ware. Stay away from it and also "Clean My Mac".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have Sophos as a backup in case there is something. I got that xp style scan on my pc and it gave it a virus. I got it on my mac and it did nothing. I have gotten that also on my iPhone and it just crashed safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Just think if you were running windows and clicked the X baaam rouge software installed. Another joy of running on a Mac. ;D

Re cleaning now and again I use Onyx.
Would also recommend you read through the sticky`s they are a gold mine of great information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
It's one of the few Mac Malware programs

circulating. It works through Safari. Check your Safari settings!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.