Im new!

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Im not really a switcher as such, i dont mind Windows too much, its 'ok' And i dont profess to love Apple with all my heart either :p

I have always used a PC, and last time i ever used a mac was at school.

However, id quite like to purchase an older version (IE cheaper) mac and run latest software on it, just so i have the option of both mac and PC. This way i can learn more about the Mac and its appeal :)

Since i intend to keep my PC and because im not sure ill actually like the mac that much, i dont want to rush out and buy a brand new Mac Pro, only to perhaps sell it on for a huge loss! This is why i wanted to purchase an older version to start with at least.

From my initial investigation, i think a dual core G5 wouldnt be much over £500, and should be well up to running the latest version of the OS

Any comments?

(PS - i know i said i dont 'love mac with all my heart, but im not a troll!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

However, id quite like to purchase an older version (IE cheaper) mac and run latest software on it, just so i have the option of both mac and PC. This way i can learn more about the Mac and its appeal

Then you said....
From my initial investigation, i think a dual core G5 wouldnt be much over £500, and should be well up to running the latest version of the OS

In order to run the latest software and the latest version of OS X (Snow Leopard) you will need an Intel machine. The G5 is a PPC machine and can only run the latest iteration of Leopard (10.5.8). Any software which is for an Intel only will not run on a G5.

Look for a used Intel machine instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
For messing around with, I'd get a used Mac mini or Macbook. I know the typical PC users usually prefer a tower machine, but PowerMacs and Mac Pros are comparatively expensive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
£500 is way over the top for a G5. Suggest saving money and put it towards an Intel model that will run the latest operating systems, and Windows 7 at the same time as a bonus. Being a Mac Pro man, that is what I would suggest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
The Mac's will definitely run more expensive than the Windows PC but its worth the money

OP
R
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Then you said....

In order to run the latest software and the latest version of OS X (Snow Leopard) you will need an Intel machine. The G5 is a PPC machine and can only run the latest iteration of Leopard (10.5.8). Any software which is for an Intel only will not run on a G5.

Look for a used Intel machine instead.

For messing around with, I'd get a used Mac mini or Macbook. I know the typical PC users usually prefer a tower machine, but PowerMacs and Mac Pros are comparatively expensive...

Thanks for the advice so far. This is the kinda stuff im looking for.

Tower machine would be nice im sure, but i dont really need it. Im only looking to make an initial foray into the world of Mac, so i dont need a hugely expensive machine. I have a fairly well specced PC that i use for gaming, so the mac is going to sit alongside that on my desktop and just be used to browse websites and such. I also have an Iphone so i will explore the sync and connectivity there too.

I think a used mac mini might be the way forward. Even if i dont get to run to very latest OS X im sure it will give me some idea.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if you are going to buy one, look for

intel processor (preferably dual core+)

2gb+ RAM

install discs included (important!)

any mac with at least this spec will run admirably, aswell as being able to run 10.6, and 10.7 when it is released, with ample performance and room for upgrades.

if going for an iMac bear in mind the HDD is not easily removed, so upgrades are difficult.

I personally in your situation would go for a MBP or mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If there is an Apple store near you, I think this is the first port of call.
There you can get a feel for the newer machines, the hardware and software, and then if you check out some older machines, you can see what the tradeoff is.

ie. for the portables, you are getting great quality build, sleek OS, and amazing trackpads, as well as beautiful displays, and with iMacs, you are getting a neat package with amazing displays.
Mac minis are a a good cheap alternative for one who has a display, and just wants a Mac to run OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.