Extreme does not work unless i'm directly in front of it?

Reaction score
Can anyone help?
I have a Airport Extreme and an Airport Express.
For some reason when I came home from holiday yesterday I find that I can only use wireless devices if I am right in front of the Airport Extreme.
The Airport Express has a flashing orange light unless I plug it in near the Extreme?
I have looked at the config on the Extreme and it looks just like it had been set before.
"Radio Channels 2.4 GHz =6 and 5GHz Automatic"

This problem happened before and the People where I bought it last month, set it up like this using remote connection and it has worked fine for some weeks until now. :Confused:I would contact them now but they are on the Bank Holiday break and I want to use a device upstairs in my house and I don't want to wait till Tuesday.

Any ideas anyone Please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
That sounds like a very weak signal one thing I would do is see if you can find another power supply just to rule out a bad brick.

OP
W
Reaction score
The signal strength showing on my iMac is at full capacity and the other people in my street show up with less of a signal. Why would it be the power supply?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The signal strength showing on my iMac is at full capacity and the other people in my street show up with less of a signal. Why would it be the power supply?

You stated it will only connect if its right in front of it so that makes me believe
the signal is either very weak or has a lot of interference. I should have asked
is this on both 2.4 and 5 ? Have you tried unplugging it for 20 seconds and try again? What has changed since it was working has it been re located a setting
change in either the iMac or AEBS ? Have you tried a different channel and how
old is the AEBS and iMac ?

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks OSXX
I have tried a power off reset and the support people from where I purchased it only 7 weeks ago (and the iMac is only three weeks old than that) changed the channel settings remotely when I first purchased it, because when I first got it home and plugged the Extreme and the Airport in they did not work.
However after the did what they did remotely it all worked fine after what their engineer said was a channel change.
Then it worked fine for week or so and I then went on holiday leaving my son at home to use it for his work. He said that last tuesday he could not get on the internet and could only use his laptop in the room where the Extreme is, which is the same symptoms as when I first installed it all and had to contact the suppliers to fix it.

OP
W
Reaction score
I have spent the whole of yesterday trying to find out whats wrong with my network.

I think it's down to the Airport Express.

I reset both to factory default and reconfigured the Airport Extreme with a new name and WPA2 personal. Changed channels to 40, 9.

I could then use my laptop in my living room 20 feet away, although still only four bars out of five in signal strength.

I then configured the Airport Express to "Extend network" mode and within minutes my Laptop would not work.

As I right....... I thought I would just take the Airport Express upstairs and plug it in and guess what? the network is working again???

I think the Airport Express once configured is jealous of the Airport Extreme and the cant bear to see each other but are ok in separate rooms.

I give up and will expect it to fall over again any minute.
I give up. :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.