How to add ".com" to the end of an url

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just purchased my first Macbook last week and there are a few items from the PC world I really enjoy that I cannot seem to do on a Mac. Today's adventure, adding ".com" using a keyboard shortcut while typing an URL.

On a PC, I can type apple and press CTRL+Enter and it would add ".com" and launch the URL. Is there a way to do this on Mac also? I use Google Chrome if that matters...

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
command (⌘) + enter

OP
J
Reaction score
When I do that, it opens a new tab with a google search for whatever I had typed.

Apple[CMD+Enter] then a tab opens with a google search for Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Another reason to use Firefox :)

And Safari

^^^ Well go into your Safari Preferences, presuming you are using Safari and change things around as the Apple cmd+enter takes me straight to the  site

EDIT : OOPS didnt see the "I use Google Chrome"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
And Safari

^^^ Well go into your Safari Preferences, presuming you are using Safari and change things around as the Apple cmd+enter takes me straight to the  site

EDIT : OOPS didnt see the "I use Google Chrome"

Your eyes getting old like mine are they Tattster mate? :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There's really no need to put the .com on a typed address whatsoever. I have not put the .com on a typed address in the address bar in at least 3 years.

Set up your computer or router (router is my preference) to use Open DNS and you'll never have to put the .com on a single address either.

Change your DNS settings to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
You may also find you get much faster name resolution along with it as many of us do. If you change them on a router provided by your ISP, make sure you write down their DNS settings when you make the change, just in case you need to do any sort of troubleshooting down the line. Although, I have never yet had to do so.

Setting it at the router and it will work on your Windows machines, your Macs and no matter what browser you're using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Your eyes getting old like mine are they Tattster mate? :)

HAHA yea. Been all day doing some chippy work so could be full of saw dust too ;) NO glasses yet Touch wood haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As far as I know, the Cmd + Enter shortcut only works in Firefox. Chrome mimics Safari's shortcuts on the Mac, so since it doesn't work on Safari, it won't work in Chrome either. This is the reason I use Firefox on my Mac. Safari's keyboard shortcuts straight up suck in comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I know, the Cmd + Enter shortcut only works in Firefox. Chrome mimics Safari's shortcuts on the Mac, so since it doesn't work on Safari, it won't work in Chrome either. This is the reason I use Firefox on my Mac. Safari's keyboard shortcuts straight up suck in comparison.

Kash, mate it does work in Safari, but opens a new Tab. I get the Apple page if i type Apple the the shortcut, just doesnt open in the the same tab.
Just tried it again with multiple addresses and the only time i had a problem was if the URL ended in .com.au

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It works, but not in the same way. It's the equivalent of typing in just "apple" and then hitting Enter. Safari/Chrome figure out what you mean. It's not the same as typing in "apple" and then hitting Cmd + Enter, which actually adds "www." and ".com" to "apple"

Plus, opening a new tab is annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh ok i get the jist of what your saying. See new tabs dont bother me as such. Its when a complete new window opens that what i dont like.
So please educate the not so bright this time of morning, but what is the difference then between the 2. What i mean is whats the difference between in FF typing Apple with the shortcut and it adding the www. and .com to Safari typing Apple and 'enter' and it bringing up the website with www. and .com in the address ?? I might be confusing myself here but i dont see a difference at all.
Now doing the just 'enter' in Safari brings the page up in the current window, and the cmd+enter it brings it up in a new tab.
So is 'enter' the same as 'cmd+enter' in FF then ??

LOL ive just brain melted ;)

Reaction score
to add a .com, here's the key combination:

. + c + o + m

I know, its tricky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
OK, Hummm...
Do you type the + between the . and c and o and m, makes it, a long shortcut...

:)

C

chas_m

Change your DNS settings to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

CAUTION: doing this can make streaming movies (particularly via Apple/iTunes, Hulu, Akamai et al) exceptionally slow, as using a service like this (or Google's Public Tracking SORRY Public DNS) obfuscates your true location from those providers, meaning they can't localise the source of streaming for better delivery.

OpenDNS May Slow Down Your Apple TV Streaming

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe??? Not experienced any issues (except the same ones that I had with iTunes prior to using OpenDNS. Watching video from iTunes while downloading it has always been a pitb).

I regularly rent, buy and watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, ABC, Vudu, iTunes and many others via iDevices, Win7 HTPC, PS3 and Roku.

The issue with iTunes, both before and after, you never know when their download speed is going to be slow and make a rental unwatchable until it's fully downloaded. Consequently, they get almost no money from me for rentals. Everyone else is better - Amazon and Vudu are both vastly better. While iTunes currently gets almost all the money spent on digital video purchases. Maybe the new data center will solve these issues.

Edit: re-qualify - streaming video from iTunes to my iPad always seems to work brilliantly. But move to a computer, Mac or Win - doesn't matter, and it's less than a 50/50 proposition as to whether you get to watch immediately or have to wait for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I also use OpenDNS and I stream a lot, I mean a lot because I don't have cable so all my viewing comes from Hulu Plus, Netflix, iTunes, and Vudu. I've never had a an issue with streaming anything with OpenDNS.

Now Google Public DNS, that was a disaster.

Reaction score
It's simply control+enter, not command+enter

control key is between fn and option, lower left corner of keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.