Powerbook G4 hard drive to new Mac Pro HELP!!

Reaction score
i have a Powerbook G4 and i am planning on taking out the hard drive and taking all my music photos etc to put on my new Mac Pro, i can't remember the name of the gadget i need (maybe a hard drive to usb convertor or something???), you plug your old hard drive into it then plug the usb lead into your new computer to extract all your music etc etc, could someone tell me the name of the specific one i will need, i presume Maplins or someone will sell them... please help! (any links to uk shops would be great too)

many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5: Dual 2.0Ghz, 500GB, 4GB ram.
hey hows it going. what ive always transferred data with was a Firewire 400 cable. Just simply plug the cable in to your pwerbook g4 and the other end to your mac pro, hold the "t" key on your powerbook during start up, and the powerbook hard drive should show up like an external would show up on the mac pro. Just extract what you want and you're golden! you can buy this cable pretty much anywhere that sells electronics of some sort. they run about 10-20 bucks for a nice long brand new one. hope that helps! ////Mikee

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This adapter from Other World Computing works best, and it can be used over and over again for attaching any drive to just about any machine via USB. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The easy way is to just boot your PowerBook G4 into Target Disk mode by holding down T as you power it on. Then the whole notebook acts as an enclosure for the hard drive inside it. Connect it to the Mac Pro with a FireWire 800 cable (I don't believe the current Mac Pro has a 400 port on it, and the PowerBook G4s did have an 800 port iirc), and there you go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.