Shelf MS Office vs. the Trial verions on the new Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20', 2.0GHz, 1Gig RAM, 250Gig HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4
Everyone:

My newly purchased IMac G5 has the 30 day trial version of MS Office. I used it to open a word doc and was notified I could not print till I purchased the software.

I went out a bit later and purchased the MS Office '04 from my local Apple store.

My question is, when I installed the '04 shelf version, did that installation "uninstall" or delete the trial files that were already on my Mac? I don't want to have wasted space on my HD. If it did not, how do I remove those?

Thanks,

THanson

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Look in your Application folder. There should be only one microsoft folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive
no i didnt delete it.. i had to delete it myself.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
w...b said:
no i didnt delete it.. i had to delete it myself.

Well, glad I asked. I just checked and sure enough, there were 324 Meg of files that don't need to be there.

Hey, new question. Since I'm a true PC switcher, can anyone explain the uninstall features of Mac OS? For example, the Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive. Do I simply delete the folder and it is gone 100%? In the XP and Windowz world we have to uninstall programs, games, etc. simply because of all the remaining DLLs, pointers, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
th5512 said:
Hey, new question. Since I'm a true PC switcher, can anyone explain the uninstall features of Mac OS? For example, the Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive. Do I simply delete the folder and it is gone 100%? In the XP and Windowz world we have to uninstall programs, games, etc. simply because of all the remaining DLLs, pointers, etc.
You are correct, just drag it to the trash and its gone. No muss, no fuss.

IF you want to be completely thorough, you can see if it left any .plst files in user/Library/Preferences, but most of the time that is just overkill.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
You are correct, just drag it to the trash and its gone. No muss, no fuss.

IF you want to be completely thorough, you can see if it left any .plst files in user/Library/Preferences, but most of the time that is just overkill.

Just another reason I'm loving the new world of Mac. Thanks for the help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Wow. How easy...that is too cool.
I have a question though...is the trash on macs like the recycling bin on Windoze? Meaning...on Windows, when a file is deleted it sits in the Recycling bin until you click the option to "empty" it. Does the Trash have the same feature. I would hate to accidentaly send somthing to the trash and never get it back. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Yes it does have the same feature. It will send it to the trash, but you need to 'empty' it to remove it perminity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
evolve said:
Wow. How easy...that is too cool.
I have a question though...is the trash on macs like the recycling bin on Windoze? Meaning...on Windows, when a file is deleted it sits in the Recycling bin until you click the option to "empty" it. Does the Trash have the same feature. I would hate to accidentaly send somthing to the trash and never get it back. :dummy:
Yes it functions the same way...and it would, since that is one of the features that Windows "borrowed" and incorporated into its OS from Mac in the first place...hehe
:black:

If you want to empty your Trash, just choose "Empty Trash" from the Finder menu, or you could Ctrl+Click on the Trash icon in the Dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.