• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB RAM.
does anyone know why iDVD encodes a 700mb file as taking up almost half of a 4.7 GB DVD+R? i was just curious. also, i have some .mpg that i'm trying to burn to DVD....any suggestions being that iDVD doesn't accept .mpg? thanx.

S

sivp

To answer why your 700mb files takes 2 gbs is becuase dvds are encoded just like audio cds (not mp3) they go by time.

If that 700mb video file is one hour long, it will be half the dvd (standard encoding)

OP
munkism
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i'm assuming (from reading other threads) that i need Final Cut Pro to convert .mpg into a format that iDVD can read?? or is there another way around this dilema?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
I've only ever used FCP to convert, but there's probably something else (If you don't have final cut.) The format, by the way, would be *.mov

OP
munkism
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can anyone also tell me why under the settings panel in iDVD it has the max capacity for a blank DVD as 4.0 GB instead of 4.7?? also, what would be the best way to get a 2 hr 2 sec video down to under 2 hours so iDVD can burn it??

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Look at DVD and disk drive the same way. If you purchase a 250 GB disk drive, once it is formated for use. It is about 233 GBs. That is the sam problem with DVDs. You only have about 4.4 GB of space to use.

As for the 2 hours and 2 seconds, you will need to cut out at least 2 seconds from your video. Then you should have no problem burning it. Check to see if you can remove footage at the beginning or the end of your video. There could be even s slow spot in the middle that you could cut down.

OP
munkism
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
Look at DVD and disk drive the same way. If you purchase a 250 GB disk drive, once it is formated for use. It is about 233 GBs. That is the sam problem with DVDs. You only have about 4.4 GB of space to use.

As for the 2 hours and 2 seconds, you will need to cut out at least 2 seconds from your video. Then you should have no problem burning it. Check to see if you can remove footage at the beginning or the end of your video. There could be even s slow spot in the middle that you could cut down.

thanx a bunch.....what program would u suggest for slicing out a few seconds?? i'm thinking FCP perhaps.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iMovie should be able to handle it as well...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
In iMovie move your play head over the clip that you want to split. Then under the edit menu choose Split Video Clip at Playhead. Next move your playhead to end of the selection you want to remove. Repeat Split Video at Playhead. Once this is done move the unneed clip back to the clip pane.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.