Does Airport Extreme Base Station have advantages?

Reaction score
My Airport Extreme Base station just gave out this week so I need to replace it. I had the first version of the Gigabit models and I know there's a newer version out but I am also looking heavily at the Linksys E3000.
I know the E3000 is cheaper but that is not the deciding factor. I want the parental controls that the E3000 has and it seems like the AEBS doesn't have parental controls.
I have always tried to buy Apple products though and I want to know, am I giving up any features by going to the E3000 instead of staying with the Apple model? It seems when it comes to the actual hardware they are very similar. When I looked at the Airport Utility I noticed there is a section to set it up with MobileMe and when I did research on Google I found an article from 2008 from Apple stating that in order to use Back to My Mac an AEBS is required. Is this still the case or does it just need a certain protocol that is now available in other routers such as the E3000? Are there any other possible features that I give up by not getting an AEBS?
I haven't really had much luck getting Back to My mac working reliably with even the AEBS but it's a feature I want to use more in the future so don't want to give this up.
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1) able to control 4 airport extremes/express
2) use a USB hard drive attached to the extreme for Time Machine
3) simultaneous radios for 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz
4) guest network if you want it
5) Mac filtering for family (they all do now i believe)
6) easy to use back to my Mac with a Mobile Me account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I've used both the extreme and the e3000 and I prefer the extreme. For parental controls I use OpenDNS. This way I can control at each computer or put the DNS settings on the router. Open DNS is only 10 buck a year.

OP
M
Reaction score
Those are definitely good reasons to keep the extremes. I don't know much about OpenDNS but I will look into it. With OpenDNS can you choose which computers to block or the entire internet connection? I know the E3000 for example allows me to block certain websites but I can choose to block it for just certain computers/IP addresses on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
I've used both the extreme and the e3000 and I prefer the extreme. For parental controls I use OpenDNS. This way I can control at each computer or put the DNS settings on the router. Open DNS is only 10 buck a year.

Good ole OpenDNS.... I had an employer try and use this. its not the most effective and probably one of the easiest things to get around. Change the ip address in network settings, flush dns, with some other things, and it no longer works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Good ole OpenDNS.... I had an employer try and use this. its not the most effective and probably one of the easiest things to get around. Change the ip address in network settings, flush dns, with some other things, and it no longer works.
Of course its easy to get around if you know what your doing. In the case of my kids, (since I know what I'm doing), I have made it so they can't make any changes to their settings without an admin password which of course I don't give them. Any employer that lets their users have full access to their systems doesn't have a very savy IT department

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Of course its easy to get around if you know what your doing. In the case of my kids, (since I know what I'm doing), I have made it so they can't make any changes to their settings without an admin password which of course I don't give them. Any employer that lets their users have full access to their systems doesn't have a very savy IT department

haha... Yea I was in a remote office, and we had a lot of freedoms that most other offices didnt have. But I just thought it was funny when they tried to use that to keep us from accessing certain sites during the day. It was almost like using a 2 ft fence to keep out a 5 ft dog. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I left another soon to be important feature off of the AEBS its one of the few thats IPv6
ready.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.