• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How best to make a backup of raw video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20', 2.0GHz, 1Gig RAM, 250Gig HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4
Folks:

This is my first post to this forum; I'm a big forum proponent in other subjects, so I hope to contribute, as my knowledge to the world of All-things-Mac expands. Quick background before my question:

I am a recent convert to the Mac world; I purchased my first Mac 2 weeks ago (IMac G5) and couldn't be happier. I can't express the joy it is to work with a Unix-based O/S that doesn't blue screen me every day.

Anyway, here is what I'm doing and what advice I'm asking for.

I have 10+ 8mm family video tapes that I'm putting on to the IMac, via a Canopus converter. I am successfully building DVDs via this process and couldn't be happier with the progress; however, I soon realized I should make back-ups of each tape's raw data directly to DVD, since I don't intend to keep my HD full of my downloaded videos. Each tape, in Raw IMovie format, is roughly 30Gig. I realize this is not compressed video, when inside of IMovie, so the backup of these videos should be smaller.

What are your suggestions regarding backing up these videos? Keeping in mind I might want to re-create a DVD in the future and do not want to get the video and converter out again, etc. How would you folks suggest I get these videos compressed and thus onto double-layer DVD? I think the double layer is ~18 Gig, so I should be able to hold several compressed videos, but is that a good method? Any suggestions?

THanson
Denver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
dual layer is actually only 8 gigs...
You can export the movies in quicktime format and then burn the files to DVD... i am assuming you don't want to burn them using iDVD and would rather make a data dvd using finder.

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the forums, you will like it here, its a nice environment and everybody here is very nice and helpfull.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20', 2.0GHz, 1Gig RAM, 250Gig HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4
PowerBookG4 said:
dual layer is actually only 8 gigs...
You can export the movies in quicktime format and then burn the files to DVD... i am assuming you don't want to burn them using iDVD and would rather make a data dvd using finder.

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the forums, you will like it here, its a nice environment and everybody here is very nice and helpfull.

PoweBook4: Thanks for the note. If I export to Quicktime, I assume that export will then compress the files. True?

Also, thanks for the correction on the Dual layer capacity. I think I got my wires crossed when considering a typical DVD holds 4.7 and a Dual is almost twice that. For some reason I was thinking a regular DVD was 8, thus I would get to 16. Stupid mistake.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.