Windows 7 Boot camp crash

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So as I'm sure you'll be able to see somewhere this is my first post, please excuse any errors or if I'm posting this thread in the wrong section, but it seemed to be the right place.

Alright, so, I have a MacBook from I think 2007, or early 2008. It has a 120GB HDD, 4GB RAM 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (Later installed, came with 1GB stock), 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. (Anything else you may need to know please don't hesitate to ask)

I have Windows 7 Ultimate (x32) installed on bootcamp. I have been running it on Windows for the past 7 months straight, this is the first time I've been on Mac OS X since I installed Windows 7.
Earlier today I started getting a lot of error messages of RAM failure, Avast was going crazy with some driver issue and it kept prompting me to restart because of SATA HDD issues. I recently installed Avast 24 hours ago. So after restarting I was expecting the check disc program to start up like it normally would on XP, but it just started normally. There was a program called Windows Error (Can't remember the actual name, something along those lines) or something coming up telling me I had errors in my start-up disc space or something, I thought at first it may have been spyware or malware but it did look legit. I started Avast to do a scan, and after 40 mins it was only at 1%, which is very slow as my partitioned space for Windows was only 60 GB. I killed the scan and tried to manually backup important files, but the same driver errors popped up. I clicked continue and everything went a bit crazy with tons of error pop ups coming up of similar driver errors and system32 errors, and it began to shut down, so that's when I started up in Mac. Now in Finder, looking at the WINDOWS drive, it has nothing but 2 files: IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS ... All I want is to backup my files that I had on there, and I'm wondering if there is any advice anyone here might have on what to do next.

Here is a Screen Shot of what the windows drive currently looks like in Finder.
windowsdrive.png

Thanks, sorry it was a bit long, I just want to give as much helpful info as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That's all that is visible in your Windows partition now? Something weird is going on, perhaps your hard drive is failing. For the moment, I recommend grabbing Disk Drill. It is free to use for scanning your drive to see if anything is recoverable, however you will have to pay for it to do any actual recovering. Other than that, Disk Warrior is considered the gold standard for file recovery, but you have to pay up front.

OP
A
Reaction score
That's all that is visible in your Windows partition now? Something weird is going on, perhaps your hard drive is failing. For the moment, I recommend grabbing Disk Drill. It is free to use for scanning your drive to see if anything is recoverable, however you will have to pay for it to do any actual recovering. Other than that, Disk Warrior is considered the gold standard for file recovery, but you have to pay up front.

Yes, that's all that's in there I'm afraid.
I have been getting BSOD on windows for years (Before I installed Windows 7 I had Windows XP running on it in bootcamp) and Mac OS X has shut down randomly in what appears to be the Apple equivalent to the BSOD. So I'll try the scan, but I think you might be right. Thanks for the info, much appreciated :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.