Just moved to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.33, 1GB, 120GB, etc
I've been a PC guy my whole life, have always wanted to try a Mac out though. I'm not a diehard Apple or PC guy so I never try to argue one over the other, it's just not that important to me haha. Anyways, I picked up a refurbed iBook G4 with the 1.33, 12.1" screen, etc. Recently ordered a 1g memory stick and 120gb hdd to upgrade it somewhat, now I'm wanting to put Leopard on it. Finding a Leopard install disk for a decent price is like finding a zebra in my back yard from the looks of things though.. Looks like a cool site, I'm sure I'll learn a lot here! ;D

C

chas_m

Hopefully you got an exceptionally good deal on that iBook G4. I loved mine back when I had one -- that would be many years ago now -- but by modern standards it's quite antiquated.

Next time, get an Intel model, if for no other reason than the $29 Snow Leopard.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully you got an exceptionally good deal on that iBook G4. I loved mine back when I had one -- that would be many years ago now -- but by modern standards it's quite antiquated.

Next time, get an Intel model, if for no other reason than the $29 Snow Leopard.

My dad had it leftover from a wholesale lot awhile back, paid him $30 for it still brand new in the box so it was a good deal. When did they start Intel, the first model Macbook's? I've thought some about selling this one and just getting the cheapest Macbook I can find then do some upgrading.

C

chas_m

Intel Macs first appeared in 2005, but the changeover wasn't complete until 2006.

The late-model iBook G4s can still be useful if you stick with the last version of Tiger or Leopard, but as you point out these are hard to get. The main thing I don't like about iBooks is how incredibly difficult it is to change out the hard drive. It's an ugly, ugly job, particularly when compared with the "two screws and slide out/in" method for changing the MacBooks' drives.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Macs first appeared in 2005, but the changeover wasn't complete until 2006.

The late-model iBook G4s can still be useful if you stick with the last version of Tiger or Leopard, but as you point out these are hard to get. The main thing I don't like about iBooks is how incredibly difficult it is to change out the hard drive. It's an ugly, ugly job, particularly when compared with the "two screws and slide out/in" method for changing the MacBooks' drives.

With the upgraded memory, hard drive, and latest copy of Leopard, I think it will perform how I want it to. I'm on the latest version of Tiger now. I don't do any computer gaming or the likes, just basic internet browsing, college notes, email, watch videos and upload/edit pictures.

I've read up on and watched videos of the hard drive swap, hopefully I can knock it out without a problem but if not I'll have to find someone on the board that can do it. Slide in/out would for sure be a much better way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With the upgraded memory, hard drive, and latest copy of Leopard, I think it will perform how I want it to. I'm on the latest version of Tiger now. I don't do any computer gaming or the likes, just basic internet browsing, college notes, email, watch videos and upload/edit pictures.

I've read up on and watched videos of the hard drive swap, hopefully I can knock it out without a problem but if not I'll have to find someone on the board that can do it. Slide in/out would for sure be a much better way.

Be careful how much you spend upgrading this computer. So far...you've purchased:

- 1 gig of ram & 120gig HD (probably around $100)
- if you decide to install OS 10.5 "Leopard"...that's going to cost another $100-$125
- paid $30 for the computer (great price)

...so that will have your investment up to around $230-$250. For around $300-$325 you can purchase a used 1.83ghz first generation MacBook...or a "better" 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook for $350-$400.

Food for thought,

- Nick

p.s. This is a great little computer...but a MacBook is better...and more relevant.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be careful how much you spend upgrading this computer. So far...you've purchased:

- 1 gig of ram & 120gig HD (probably around $100)
- if you decide to install OS 10.5 "Leopard"...that's going to cost another $100-$125
- paid $30 for the computer (great price)

...so that will have your investment up to around $230-$250. For around $300-$325 you can purchase a used 1.83ghz first generation MacBook...or a "better" 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook for $350-$400.

Food for thought,

- Nick

p.s. This is a great little computer...but a MacBook is better...and more relevant.

Macbook is no question better, usually I wouldn't ever get something this much older but I've never had a Mac, and this is a cheap starter for me. I've got roughly $125 in everything right now, and might have a local tech friend that has a copy of Leopard for little to nothing. If I can't get it for a decent price then I'll just stick with Tiger, no way I'll pay over $100 to upgrade this model right now. Maybe next year I'll upgrade to an early Macbook, but for now this little guy will do everything I need it to. Thanks for all the tips though, it's what I'm here for.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you get stuck on the hard drive upgrade, let us know. I have that very iBook and put a 120GB Hard Drive in and can assist as can some other users here.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you get stuck on the hard drive upgrade, let us know. I have that very iBook and put a 120GB Hard Drive in and can assist as can some other users here.

I'm sure I'll be messaging you in about a week to get some how-to, thanks for the offer.

Picked up a copy of Leopard and Office '08 for $40 off a good friend about an hour ago. Figure $165 for a brand new iBook with 3x the original hard-drive & memory, running Leopard, I'm happy.;D

C

chas_m

Good deal! Hope you enjoy it.

PS. One other thing about the iBook G4s that I forgot to mention earlier: avoid picking them up with one hand. There's a defect in the iBooks where the soldering on the graphics chipset fails due to case "flexing," causing the card to bend when the unit is out of balance and this causes logic-board disconnects, hard crashes/shutoffs etc.

Pick it up with two hands (or at least evenly balanced) and you'll avoid the problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal! Hope you enjoy it.

PS. One other thing about the iBook G4s that I forgot to mention earlier: avoid picking them up with one hand. There's a defect in the iBooks where the soldering on the graphics chipset fails due to case "flexing," causing the card to bend when the unit is out of balance and this causes logic-board disconnects, hard crashes/shutoffs etc.

Pick it up with two hands (or at least evenly balanced) and you'll avoid the problem.

Gotcha, that's a very good thing to know. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.