• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Overclocking macs

D

dlisle20

Im a serious PC overclocker and I just looked at my powerbook and thought, what can I do with this? Does anybody know if its safe and where I can find info on how to overclock my powerbook, it would be nice to have it at 1.67Ghz :D

Also: anybody else overclocked their pbook yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Overclocking the powerbook is against all that I think is good for the powerbook, it requires soldering and when soldering there is always that possibly of breaking something... although you are probably very skilled at soldering, as am I, I have taken many classes and I still will not solder such things as a powerbook. I will have to say even if you overclock the powerbook I will not say its a good thing to do.. It is however possible and a quick google search showed up thise instructions.
http://www.voelker.com/service/void_powerbookg4/powerbookg4.php

This is their disclaimer which pretty much says it all.
DISCLAIMER: You shouldn't do this to your PowerBook. Period. This information is for educational and entertainment use only. If you actually follow these procedures it will void your Apple Warranty. If you follow these procedures you may break your PowerBook. If you break your PowerBook, well... we warned you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Overclocking will also void your warranty... But I agree it would be cool to say you have an overclocked PB.

Edit: Ah... Beat me to it PBG4

OP
D

dlisle20

PowerBookG4 said:
Overclocking the powerbook is against all that I think is good for the powerbook, it requires soldering and when soldering there is always that possibly of breaking something... although you are probably very skilled at soldering, as am I, I have taken many classes and I still will not solder such things as a powerbook. I will have to say even if you overclock the powerbook I will not say its a good thing to do.. It is however possible and a quick google search showed up thise instructions.
http://www.voelker.com/service/void_powerbookg4/powerbookg4.php

This is their disclaimer which pretty much says it all.

the prosedure looks easily doable, but its on a titanium :(

EDIT: im insured i need no warranty MOOHAHAHA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
question......why!?

you have a mac now and TBH its all about how much ram you have not the proc speed that makes all the difference

OP
D

dlisle20

inflexion said:
question......why!?

you have a mac now and TBH its all about how much ram you have not the proc speed that makes all the difference

mate, you have no clue your on about ram only makes a diff in OSX and loading times but proc increases the speed of framerates which is what is important to me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually, no: He's right.

More RAM will have a much larger impact under OS X than 170Mhz difference in clock speed.

Sure: You'll have an improvement with a faster processor - but not as much as if you add another 512MB of RAM.

Your machine currently has the bare minimum to run 10.4 halfway decently.

OP
D

dlisle20

overcloking is FREE buying ram is expensive. peroid

EDIT: also aptmunich if youve read my post youll see why that is irrelavent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
dlisle20 said:
overcloking is FREE buying ram is expensive. peroid

EDIT: also aptmunich if youve read my post youll see why that is irrelavent

Not as expensive as frying your machine... oh... yeah... insurance. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but willful destruction usually isn't covered.... and that is pretty much what you would be doing to the PowerBook by overclocking it.
Plus, what Aptmunich said is not irrelevant. Yes, RAM does cost money, but not nearly as much as it would cost to try and repair a botched soldering job from a failed overclocking attempt.
It sounds like you, like many others here, seem to be fairly PC/Windows knowledgable...but what you are failing to realize is that those rules don't always apply in the Macintosh world.
Upping your system RAM will improve your framerate. Also, assuming you are running Tiger, something as simple as disabling Dashboard would show a slight increase in framerate.
Still, with all this focus and talk about framerate, I would be inclined to think that you are trying to improve gaming on your Mac. This really won't happen, as gaming always has been and likely always will be better on a Windows PC. Sure you can game on a Mac, but it will never be the same as gaming on Windows.
So in summary, if you want to have a better gaming experience, then use your Windows PC for it...don't ruin a Mac by trying to overclock it.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
dlisle20 said:
Im a serious PC overclocker

and this is where you MAC overclocking knowledge goes out the window

i dont appriciate someone tell me i know FA when they are so ignorent as to what people are saying.

To quote what i originally said
inflexion said:
you have a mac now

meaning that the OS is different and the whole PPC achitecture is different from x86 so overclocking and ram has different effects.

dont worry i wont hold it against you as are mistaken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
D3v1L80Y said:
Sure you can game on a Mac, but it will never be the same as gaming on Windows.
So in summary, if you want to have a better gaming experience, then use your Windows PC for it...don't ruin a Mac by trying to overclock it.

Gaming on a mac is just fine, thank you. But I will submit that you need a top-notch gfx card... RAM or clock speeds above the recommended amount for the game does not improve framerates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sevenhelmet said:
Gaming on a mac is just fine, thank you.
I agree, I play games on mine as well. What I did say though was
me said:
it will never be the same as gaming on Windows.
Yes, you can game on a Mac, but it is better on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sevenhelmet said:
Gaming on a mac is just fine, thank you. But I will submit that you need a top-notch gfx card... RAM or clock speeds above the recommended amount for the game does not improve framerates.

So your saying that a powermac G4 with the same gfx card as a Powermac G5 with a 2ghz difference in proccessor clock speed on each proccesor (for arguments sakes lets say the G5 is a dual 2.7ghz and the G4 is a single 7000mhz).. and lets say that the G4 has 512 of ram and the G5 has the max 8gigs ram... The Frame rate is going to be the same because the have the same graphics card? This is clearly not the case... just a little synopsis I thougt up to help the argument that clock speeds and ram do make some what of a difference in frame rate, although the graphics card does make a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
PowerBookG4 said:
... just a little synopsis I thougt up to help the argument that clock speeds and ram do make some what of a difference in frame rate, although the graphics card does make a difference.

They definitely do, yet the little performance you will gain by overclocking (you can't raise the clockspeed more than just a few percent) will not make a big difference.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

As an ex designer ------- overclocking a notebook (of any kind) isn't really a good idea - why - because the thermal budget and power budget are matched very closley (razor thin) to the original product design. Thats how they can build them so small - light - thin -------- no overhead built in .......

Results would be very unpredictable :eek: :eek:

Where as a desktop design by nature - has both some power and thermal headroom built-in for expansion etc.

Proceed at your own risk :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Ex_PC_Puke said:
As an ex designer ------- overclocking a notebook (of any kind) isn't really a good idea - why - because the thermal budget and power budget are matched very closley (razor thin) to the original product design. Thats how they can build them so small - light - thin -------- no overhead built in .......

Results would be very unpredictable :eek: :eek:

Where as a desktop design by nature - has both some power and thermal headroom built-in for expansion etc.

Proceed at your own risk :spook:

Yeah, you overclock too much and your powerbook will fry. The processor will most likely overheat. I don't think it is worth the risk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.