• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

[UK] Anyone else a little irritated by the "Royal Wedding"?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
This country is stupid. Why on Earth does our country give a monkey's about the "Royal Wedding"?

-If i were to get married tomorrow, would the whole country get a day off? no.

-Would anyone other than my family and friends care? no.

This is how it should be!

What exactly have this pair done that makes them deserving of such a commotion? I can think of hundreds of soldiers on the frontline, losing their lives and limbs over their country. I would happily go to any ceremony in honour of this.

But no. Kate Middleton and Prince William are getting married. QUICK, off to the shops to buy union jack flags, paper plates, and the godforsaken "Royal Wedding" mug, with a picture of their faces on it.

this whole thing is a waste of money that we don't have.

As soon as I can Im coming to you, Aussies.

P.S, sorry for the rant, i think I was going to explode if i didn't get that off my chest.

;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm tired of hearing about it as well. I'm in the U.S....I'm sure the "hype" is MUCH worse in the UK!!!

It's also sad all of the "opportunists" trying to make $$$/£££ from the event on the internet/TV selling all sorts of "collectables"!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I am with you here, I don't see why everyone has to make such a commotion about it. In fact for the most part I can't see much of a point in the royals as a whole. They used to have much more importance in the countries running decades ago. The only point I see for them now is the amount of tourism we get because of it and with that obviously it helps the economy... but then spending our taxes on it and closing half of London, creating another Bank Holiday closing 90% of businesses because of it is just a pure waste of time and money for the un-elected sponges!

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well Rob and Simon let Kate have her day. God knows it will be pretty tough for the poor lass. Stay where you are as we cannot even win the Ashes!

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahah even in America there is hype??

We are having far too many bank holidays. Im really glad my workplace is open so i can just make some money while this stupid thing is going on.

do the royal family actually get money from our taxes?

And Harry, Im a football (as in soccer ;) ) kinda guy, not into cricket, didn't even know we one the last one! :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I, for one, am glad!

It gives poor old Elvis Presley a rest for a while in the gossip rags. No, wait, I just saw where Elvis is going to be a member of the wedding party. So, forget what I said. ;)

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I got £7.9 million just for sitting on my butt and waving my hand a bit.

Instead of having a referendum on "AV" (the "alternative vote", or in layman's terms, letting the Lib Dems into power even though they don't get enough votes next time), we should have one for "Do we need a monarchy sucking up all our money?"

Well at least i can take repute in the fact that she only spends it on essentials:

The bulk of it goes towards paying staff, with the rest spent on things like stationery, laundry and official functions such as garden parties.

nope, dont think so. i wasn't invited to this garden party. All that happened to me (the fundraiser) was that my road tax was increased, VAT increased, and my University fees will be tripled in a years time to near £9000.

And God forbid the Queen goes without a pen for her next "official function".

God save the queen, but replace "save" with something ruder.

sorry about the political ramblings!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I think that sums up my thoughts....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm sorry… who's getting married where? Ah never mind… who gives a rat's poop. :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BBC America is currently "going nuts" broadcasting all sorts of British Royalty shows/documentaries.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
While I am not really following the whole affair nor am I all "atwitter" about it, I do find the Royals as a whole fascinating. A bit of old Europe still functioning in the modern era. A 19th century anachronism still alive in the 21st century. I've always been a bit of a history buff and I'll admit and I am also believer in tradition for the most part. Heritage, custom and tradition are important to a national identity.

You Britts have something that most of Europe lost (or shed) 100 years ago and it adds to your collective identity, helps define you as a nation and gives the world something to admire about you. We in the US don't have that (for better or worse) and our collective identity tends to hover somewhere between American Idol, Levis Jeans and Snoop Dog, regardless of who sits at the desk on Pennsylvania Ave. Not exactly the kind of thing one might wish to be known for. Yeah it's expensive, yeah it may be a bit old fashioned but it's you and has been for centuries now.

Then again, admiring a system from afar and living under it are two very different things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipad 64gb wifi , Itouch 32gb wifi , 2011 Imac 21"
Until this morning i couldn't have cared too much about it tbh. Then our boss says he's now decided to close the office for the day resulting in a nice long weekend for me so yay *waves flag*

I do think the Royals bring more £'s into the Economy than is spent on them so i've nothing against them.

I'm also from St.Andrews where the happy couple met and 2 doors down from where they shared a flat. Used to see the prince off jogging on my way to work for a year or 2 and he always said a few words so maybe i'm a little biased.

I think the hype has taken on a life of it's own but if it makes people happy if only for a weekend then why not?. No one has to watch it on tele or go to a street party if they don't want to so why complain?

I would rather see nice things like this on the news than all the doom and gloom from around the world right now :)

I'm not a Royalist , never have been but i do whish the young couple a long and happy marriage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I would like to say that I am not anti royal at all. What I am is anti blanket press coverage. Every single mainstream TV channel here will be spending the whole day broadcasting it, and radio coverage will be similar. It's insane, and there just no escaping it.
Add to that the amount of comparisons with Princess Diana is really annoying.
I hope they have a happy marriage, but fear that they will be hounded by the press and will stand no chance. The UK press/media are the worst in the world when it comes to this kind of thing.
BTW, I saw a trailer for the US tv coverage and I was nearly sick. The most schmalzty, sickening thing I have ever seen!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to say that I am not anti royal at all. What I am is anti blanket press coverage. Every single mainstream TV channel here will be spending the whole day broadcasting it, and radio coverage will be similar. It's insane, and there just no escaping it.

Agreed! It's not so much the topic...it's the "blanket press coverage". Every channel...all day...everyday (till it's over)!!!

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Then again, admiring a system from afar and living under it are two very different things.
Imagine living in the Commonwealth - Canada for instance is an ocean apart yet the Queen is technically our head of state. We're afar and under it at the same time.

Yes, I'm tired of hearing of it but I'm also tired of my country having ties to the Queen so this wedding is a nice gentle reminder of what I already didn't like ;).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agreed! It's not so much the topic...it's the "blanket press coverage". Every channel...all day...everyday (till it's over)!!!

- Nick

That's why I subscribe to this expensive Verizon FIOS TV cable. I'm going to turn on one of the music channels, pipe it into my stereo amp and sit back and enjoy the sounds while I peruse the MF forums until it's over. May the royal couple live happily ever after! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wouldn't use the word "irritated," because I actually believe it a rare event, but what I do hate is how they repeat the news events MULTIPLE times a day, stating the same thing as previously stated. THAT'S annoying!

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will avoid it. I am going to go to work. Ill avoid all the commotion (it will probably be dead in the shop, everyone will be in London, no chance of me staying here for it).

Afterwards, Im going to turn all the TVs off and have a beer. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will avoid it. I am going to go to work. Ill avoid all the commotion (it will probably be dead in the shop, everyone will be in London, no chance of me staying here for it).

Afterwards, Im going to turn all the TVs off and have a beer. ;)

Watch it and have a beer every time they mention Diana. You'll be blotto by 9 am.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.