Tiger and itunes

Reaction score
I'm still running osx 10.4.11 and had not planned an upgrade as yet. However just found out that I can no longer access itunes store unless I spend £120 on Snow Leopard. Extortion or what ? Can't find a way around it. Anyone else affected ?

C

chas_m

Um, Snow Leopard costs $30 (US) and will upgrade from Tiger. You'll need to upgrade iTunes as well of course, but that's free.

OP
C
Reaction score
tiger and itunes

Thanks,Chas.
However,although the snow leopard uograde is about £30, Apple say to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard I need the Mac box set at £122.
If you do a complete erase and install, reintroduce any 3rd party software such as Word.

"Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger. *If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger*, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote."

Upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard requires the Mac Box Set available here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC209Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
If it were only £30,it wouldn't seem so bad but it still rankles that Apple have taken away what I originally purchased - access to itunes store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I hope you have an Intel Mac, if so the £30 Snow Leapard disk (you can even pick one up in PC World) will install just fine on your Mac without the need to buy 10.5 Leopard, which Apple no longer sells anyway

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks,Louishen,
Yes, I do have an Intel Mac. As I mentioned ,Tiger 10.4.11 is my present system. Excellent to know that you can confirm Snow Leopard can be installed without having to follow Apples's advice and buy the Mac box set.

Many thanks again

C

chas_m

The Mac Box Set is a good *recommendation* because once you're on Snow Leopard you're really going to want to upgrade to iLife 11. But the Mac App Store makes that possible for cheap-cheap now, so I say the heck with what Apple says: upgrade to Snow!

PS. Actually, I don't think we ever made sure you're on an Intel Mac. That's a de facto requirement for upgrading to Snow Leopard.

If you're not on an Intel Mac, ignore my previous suggestions -- and instead call Apple, plead your case and they might ship you a copy of Leopard for not-quite-so-much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.