i moved, my network must have stayed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 G5 -- 3 Gigs RAM -- 23" Cinema Display -- OneTouch II 300GB External HD -- Wacom Intuos3
i don't get it. i just moved and when i setup my computer (G5 w/Airport Extreme) and airport express, i can't get a signal. the broadband modem is on the level above me but if you were to draw a straight line from my computer to the aiport express, it would be less than 30 feet.

okay so i did a test and took the modem and airport into the room with my computer and set them up there. from 6 feet away, my signal strength was at 1 bar. 6 FEET!!! at my old aprtment the signal was really strong. i tried to reinstall the software and start from scratch but it won't let me because there is a newer version on the drive. i also reset the airport and it did nothing for me. i tried unplugging everything including the modem, and then hooking it all back up with no results. what do i do?

yes the light is green

thanks
kurt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
First I would try restting the airport to defaults. Also remove any trace of the network location in sysprefs and keychain access. Set up the airport with no password or encryption to test and create a new network location in sysprefs.

If your results yield a strong connection then proceed to add a password and encryption.

It is possible that in your move that either something was damaged or wonked out. The powermacs require an external antenna in order to get a signal. Is it still there? Is it damaged?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, also, what is the place you live at now like? if t has copper piping, it will block the signal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.