Need help buying my first Mac..

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to Mac. I'm of the mind to go buy a new MacBook Pro in the 17" size and I could use your help.

I want to get the fastest processor available and I want 8 GB of memory (I'm under the impression that that is the maximum unless I spring for solid gold 8GB sticks). I want to boot from an SSD but I am not sure what size to get as I have no idea how much space OS X takes up on the drive and how much space I'll have left over for applications and data.

I'm used to using a Lenovo ThinkPad with the non-glare screen and I like it to not be shiny. I'm not real pretty to look at and when I use a computer with a shiny screen I get to see myself way to much. ;D

I'd like to have a second HDD onboard because I'd probably use that a whole lot more than the DVD burner, but I do not see an option to have a second HDD. I could live with the DVD burner being on a wire so I can plug it in when I need to. What is the fastest connection I can use on the machine to connect to an external drive? I read something about Thunderbolt, but I have not seen any devices for it yet.

I don't play games, but I do some light video editing and will be using the computer mainly for Bible studies and web surfing/email.

The software that Apple is offering when you go to price out a new machine - do I need that? Is it offered at a discount when I buy the computer or can I buy it at about that same price anytime?

I'd also like to use a wireless keyboard and trackball and hook the video and audio up to my HDTV. Can I do that?

If I buy memory or the SSD from a third party, will it void my warranty with Apple?

Is there any way to use something like an mSATA card inside for extra storage?

What would you recommend that I might need that I may be unaware of - ?

As well, how long do you anticipate until the new MacBook Pros become available. I do not have any idea when the current ones began selling or how long Apple redoes the line. I know an OS upgrade/change is due out this summer.

I also learned to buy the extended warranty someplace besides Apple to get a better price. What other money saving things can I do to save a buck or three when I'm ordering my new machine?

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to Mac. I'm of the mind to go buy a new MacBook Pro in the 17" size and I could use your help.

Welcome. :)

I want to get the fastest processor available and I want 8 GB of memory (I'm under the impression that that is the maximum unless I spring for solid gold 8GB sticks). I want to boot from an SSD but I am not sure what size to get as I have no idea how much space OS X takes up on the drive and how much space I'll have left over for applications and data.

Snow Leopard takes up approximately 5-6GB of space, AFAIK. Since you want an SSD, I would recommend you get the one with the most capacity. Because we're talking about a MacBook Pro, you won't have a way to add a second disk to the system (unless you want to cart around an external), and so will probably have capacity problems in a short time once you start installing applications, saving media files, and etc. Gigabytes don't go nearly as far as they used to.

I'm used to using a Lenovo ThinkPad with the non-glare screen and I like it to not be shiny. I'm not real pretty to look at and when I use a computer with a shiny screen I get to see myself way to much. ;D

I have a matte screen too, and like it fine. But if you don't have any intention of working near powerful external light sources, the glossy screen is truly a work of beauty.

I'd like to have a second HDD onboard because I'd probably use that a whole lot more than the DVD burner, but I do not see an option to have a second HDD. I could live with the DVD burner being on a wire so I can plug it in when I need to.

If the disks and DVD drives were comparably shaped, I'm sure a swap out might be possible, but since they're not at all similar in either size or thickness, the option isn't really an either-or. Not to mention, if the sh*t hits the fan (perhaps literally?), you're going to want that DVD drive to boot.

What is the fastest connection I can use on the machine to connect to an external drive? I read something about Thunderbolt, but I have not seen any devices for it yet.

The 17 incher has the following ports:
Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
Three USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

Check out Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 17-inch model. for more details.

I don't play games, but I do some light video editing and will be using the computer mainly for Bible studies and web surfing/email.

You should be fine for that. I wouldn't use a Macbook Pro to edit the next Star Trek film, but I do a little light editing too (small clips and whatnot for work) and have no issues.

The software that Apple is offering when you go to price out a new machine - do I need that? Is it offered at a discount when I buy the computer or can I buy it at about that same price anytime?

If you're referring to iLife, I believe it's free when you buy new Macs (but you might want to check with the Apple Store on that), but if you buy it later it carries a cost.

Other software that they have on the site is the same price whether you buy with your Mac or later.

I'd also like to use a wireless keyboard and trackball and hook the video and audio up to my HDTV. Can I do that?

Your Macbook Pro should work with any Bluetooth devices you can buy, including trackballs. As for hooking up to your TV, Apple has a variety of connectors that you can use to hook your Mac up to lots of devices.

Cables - Apple Store (U.S.)

If I buy memory or the SSD from a third party, will it void my warranty with Apple?

To the best of my knowledge -- and the best of several searched on Google just now -- you can add/change RAM without voiding your warranty. Same with the hard disk.

Is there any way to use something like an mSATA card inside for extra storage?

I don't believe so.

What would you recommend that I might need that I may be unaware of - ?

My first recommendation would be to read this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html

As well, how long do you anticipate until the new MacBook Pros become available. I do not have any idea when the current ones began selling or how long Apple redoes the line. I know an OS upgrade/change is due out this summer.

The line was just refreshed, so it's pretty safe to buy now.

In the future, you can check out this site:
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

I also learned to buy the extended warranty someplace besides Apple to get a better price. What other money saving things can I do to save a buck or three when I'm ordering my new machine?

If you buy from MacConnection.com instead of Apple, depending on your state, you can usually avoid paying taxes up front. Although, technically speaking, you're supposed to claim all Internet purchases on your taxes at the end of the year and pay as appropriate.

Thank you for your help!

No prob. Good luck with your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Again, welcome!

Nice post shikarnov, but you're not totally correct about something. The DVD SuperDrive can indeed be replaced with an SSD, and OWC carries all the necessary tools and parts (part of a package in fact) in order to facilitate the transplant.

I in fact, was thinking about doing this myself on my wife's 13" MBP, but decided it's likely not worth doing since I'd rather just get a new iMac when the next batch comes out.

As far as memory is concerned, 8 gigs is not the max. 16 gigs is. 8 gigs is the "technical max" because that is all Apple deals with in house. Replacing memory yourself however, is easy and does not void the warranty. Neither does swapping out the hard drive. Not sure I can say the same thing about swapping out the SuperDrive for an SSD though...

Only downside to the 16 gigs is the price... $1600 haha. That said, I would NOT get the MacBook Pro configured with 8 gigs of RAM. Apple way over charges for RAM in general. I'd get the minimum amount and upgrade manually. I'd say the same thing for the hard drive. The only thing I'd recommend getting the best of, if you need to do heavy video editing, is the processor.

Save money on the other things and put the excess towards Apple Care.. if you believe in purchasing such things. (I do.. and it has saved me lots of $ with my first MacBook Pro).

Here's an 8 gig kit for $108

And here are the kits (Data Doubler's) for replacing the SuperDrives with SSD's

I personally love the idea of getting rid of the SuperDrive. You can always get cheap external housing for it with FireWire. I can count on one hand how many times I've used my SuperDrive in the last 2 years.

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I personally love the idea of getting rid of the SuperDrive. You can always get cheap external housing for it with FireWire. I can count on one hand how many times I've used my SuperDrive in the last 2 years.

Have to agree. I just wish Apple would offer that as an option on their MBP line. I for one would be willing to pay whatever extra for it. Within reason of course! :)

Reaction score
Again, welcome!

Nice post shikarnov, but you're not totally correct about something. The DVD SuperDrive can indeed be replaced with an SSD, and OWC carries all the necessary tools and parts (part of a package in fact) in order to facilitate the transplant.

I stand corrected. Thanks. :)

C

chas_m

Hi and welcome. I am a little confused by your post. You write:

I want to get the fastest processor available and I want 8 GB of memory (I'm under the impression that that is the maximum unless I spring for solid gold 8GB sticks). I want to boot from an SSD.

What is the fastest connection I can use on the machine to connect to an external drive? I read something about Thunderbolt, but I have not seen any devices for it yet.

But then later, you write:

And then later you write

What other money saving things can I do to save a buck or three when I'm ordering my new machine?

Well, if you really want to save some money, why are you trying to build a tank to go to the supermarket (metaphorically speaking). It seems to me you are wasting a metric crapload of money by WAAAAAY over-spec'ing your machine.

Your stated uses for the machine would be easily covered by even the lowest-end Mac from four years ago (I am writing to you on one of those!). For "light video editing, Bible studies and web [stuff]," what on earth do you need with Thunderbolt, SSDs, the top end of everything and vast amounts of storage?

I'm not trying to talk you out of a new Mac portable if that's what you want, hey it's your money -- but to me this post sounds like you're buying a gas-guzzling, tricked-out Hummer for trips to and from work, and asking us if you could save a few bucks by getting a cassette player instead of a CD.

In point of fact, everything you said you wanted to do with your new machine could be done on an iPad. Not that I think that's what you need to buy, I'm just sayin'.

In my opinion, you need to think more about what you actually want this machine to be able to do, how much you're willing to spend, and concentrate more on good VALUE rather than trying to max out the specs. I'd also strongly recommend a visit to an Apple retail store or at classy independent dealer to get some demos of what the different models can do and how they do it. A little hands-on time and a no-pressure guru to answer questions would probably REALLY help focus your thinking, which could save you a lot of money.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you all for your replies. I work odd hours and cannot readily visit an Apple store as there is not one in close proximity to me.

chas_m, I may at some point wish to use the machine for purposes that I had not illuminated to when I made this post. Sorry if it was confusing to you. It was not a test, so you can relax now.

Thanks again!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Since my wife and I had today off we drove to the Apple Store in our county and it was a very good experience. I thank chas_m for suggesting that we do that. The new MBP is on the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.