Switcher Internet Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 (soon)
I just bought a new Powerbook and a airport express and I hooked the airport into my optimum online router via ethernet and then I plugged in the airport to the power. My Powerbook works great with the wirless, BUT, and that is a big but, the windows machine that the rest of my family uses also is connected to that same router. Now, here is the dilemma, the windows machine can't connect to the internet at the same time as the powerbook. At least that's what I thought. But I can't get on the internet even when everything is unplugged and the powerbook is shut down. Is there anything that I need to do, such aas create a network. I have no idea what to do... so I guess my questiion is... HELP!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you have set the gateway ip to that of the router right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Steveman434 said:
I just bought a new Powerbook and a airport express and I hooked the airport into my optimum online router via ethernet and then I plugged in the airport to the power. My Powerbook works great with the wirless, BUT, and that is a big but, the windows machine that the rest of my family uses also is connected to that same router. Now, here is the dilemma, the windows machine can't connect to the internet at the same time as the powerbook. At least that's what I thought. But I can't get on the internet even when everything is unplugged and the powerbook is shut down. Is there anything that I need to do, such aas create a network. I have no idea what to do... so I guess my questiion is... HELP!

Thanks.
Have you tried power cycling the setup?
If you haven't, or if you don't know what I mean by this, just follow these steps in this order:

1. Power everything down (modem, router, AirPort Base Station, ALL computers involved)
2. Wait at least one full minute
3. Power the router back on
4. Power the modem back on and wait for it to cycle through its startup sequence. You should see the lights come on, one at a time, then start to flash.
5. Power on the AirPort Base Station
6. Power on the computers, starting with the ones connected via ethernet (wired) and ending with the wireless ones.

This sequence should allow all the computers to pull fresh DHCP and allow them to connect to the internet at the same time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 (soon)
ok thanks devilboy... i will try that... but do the computers need to be networked (whatever that means) (hah) ill tr that and then post again

thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 (soon)
nope.. didnt work. help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
So does your PowerBook still have connectivity?...and just your Windows box won't connect, right?
Try this...do all of the steps from before, but leave out the PowerBook, router and the AirPort Express.
Just do a straight connection to the Modem with your Windows machine.
Power them both down, and cycle them.
If you are able to get a connection that way, then add in the AirPort Express, router and PowerBook...cycle it again and see if you can get a signal on all machines.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 (soon)
imsorry i really feel like a n00b. i have no idea what you are talking about. how do i do a straight connection to the modem? thnaks for all your help so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Steveman434 said:
imsorry i really feel like a n00b. i have no idea what you are talking about. how do i do a straight connection to the modem? thnaks for all your help so far.
Just unplug the router, and connect your Windows computer directly to the modem with your ethernet cable. Don't hook up anything else.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 (soon)
here is the thing.. i have the router with my airport connected thru ethernet andthe windows box connected thru usb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Steveman434 said:
here is the thing.. i have the router with my airport connected thru ethernet andthe windows box connected thru usb
Are you meaning to say that your modem does not have an ethernet jack in the back??? :black:
All you will need to do is this:

1. Unplug everything
2. Plug in your phone line (if you have DSL)/Coax cable (if you have Cable) into the modem
3. Plug in an ethernet cable into the modem
4. Plug the other end of the ethernet cable into your NIC on the Windows machine.
5. Turn on the modem
6. Boot up the PC

For now, just forget about the router, AirPort..etc. Just hook everything up like I suggested to see if you can get a signal on your PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
D3v1L80Y said:
Are you meaning to say that your modem does not have an ethernet jack in the back???

I think he's saying the modem has both an ethernet and USB jack on it-- he's got the ethernet going to the router and the USB going to the Windows machine. The modem probably doesn't like this arrangement.

He needs to remove the USB connection from the PC to the modem before proceeding, if I understand the setup correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea id agree with caribiner23

you need to use the wireless card in your windows machine if it has one, if not you need to get one as both the windows machine and router are trying to control the modem hence it only allowing one to connect at once

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
caribiner23 said:
I think he's saying the modem has both an ethernet and USB jack on it-- he's got the ethernet going to the router and the USB going to the Windows machine. The modem probably doesn't like this arrangement.

He needs to remove the USB connection from the PC to the modem before proceeding, if I understand the setup correctly.
Right, which is why I suggested eliminating the router alltogether...at least for now.
me said:
Just unplug the router, and connect your Windows computer directly to the modem with your ethernet cable. Don't hook up anything else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
D3v1L80Y said:
Right, which is why I suggested eliminating the router alltogether...at least for now.

I figured you did-- just making sure that the USB wasn't forgotten about.

:)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 (soon)
ok... so i need to get a wireless card? how much? where? where does it go? and you guys are right my windows machine doesnt have a ethnet port so its connected thru USB. my powerbook is connected thru ethernet thru the airport

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.